• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't move shift lever while car is moving

I have a 98 xj mine does same thing unless I lighty touch brake pedal with left foot I can manually downshift. Was told my shifter cable needs to be adjusted.

davebz1a said:
Hi I have a 2001XJ, and I can't manually downshift when the car is moving. I can downshift in my 97. Is this some sort of "feature" on the 2001? I'd like to disable it.

Owners manual - read it :D

Yes, it's a safety feature to prevent you from inadvertently selecting a lower gear.
As posted, Over a certain speed, you need to activate the brakes before you can select a lower grear.

There is likely a soleniod under the console that prevents the button from being pressed.
You should be able to dissable it.

BTW: My 98' does not do it. Perhaps it is a late model year addition? My friends 99' locked out the downshift feature also.

Owners manual?? who reads that? I do read the service manual though. Thanks for the input. I think you are right the, soloniod is on the steering column. It also prevents you from moving the shift lever unless the key is on.

Back