• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified stock bumpers?

xxmidianxx

NAXJA Forum User
hey any of you guys mod-ed your stock bumpers? I saw some pics on here before but I can't find them now. So if you guys can thow some pics up so I can get some ideas that would be great!
Thanks

Midian

Sorry but that is not what I am looking for... I was thinking more about "eye-browing" the sides.

Not a great shot of the bumper, but best I could find. I just let the trail rip the end caps off, and added a bottle opener. Works good for me!!

1595969_188_full.jpg

i've seen a couple local older XJ's w/a winch mounted behind the bumper w/a hole cutout for the fairlead.
it looked almost factory. maybe an old Mopar Accessories setup.

X Factor said:
i've seen a couple local older XJ's w/a winch mounted behind the bumper w/a hole cutout for the fairlead.
it looked almost factory. maybe an old Mopar Accessories setup.

You're speaking of the OEM Hidden Winch Kit - factory option many, many moons ago. Hard to find these days, they are. Used a special Ramsey 6000-series winch.

There's a couple threads on it buried in here somewhere...

mjma said:
Not a great shot of the bumper, but best I could find. I just let the trail rip the end caps off, and added a bottle opener. Works good for me!!

1595969_188_full.jpg

Those Ford Ranger/Explorer rims? I often thought how they'd look on the XJ.

Here is my new trail rig I just bought from FitchVA's brother. Fitch did the cuts on the bumpers and fenders and did a nice job. I plan on building some bumpers off of the Detours recovery that I am putting on it so I won't be using it but it does look good.

oldblueub2.jpg

Here is one of Fitch's pics(sorry Steve I stole another one!)
IMG_9184.jpg

Last edited:
Jeepm@n said:
Those Ford Ranger/Explorer rims? I often thought how they'd look on the XJ.

Not to hijack but the ford rims have a 4 3/4 BS, which is just right for running 31's on a 2-3" lift. You do need to grind the centers out some to clear the hub. These wheels are cheap at the JY's.

P1010011.jpg

Done with a mini grinder and cut-off wheel.
I'd prefer a 'real' bumper but $ do not allow.
I made the modification after running the the plastic trim and bumper extension into the fender while climbing a rock face... it wrinkled the fender up. Some hip checks and a little love'n from a hammer made the fender look "not too bad"...
I have yet to contact the 'mod'd' stock bumper, seems there is enough removed that allows me to get rubber or tow hooks onto any ledges now and the fenders have remained straight as a result.

Good luck.

Thanks for the pics guys.. I have a good idea now.

Since you guys dont care about your rigs anyway,why run one at all !!!

RCP Phx said:

WRONG!

RCP Phx said:

I love my rig, I beat on it and it takes it, so it must love me back. XJ's are kinda like dogs, they are very faithfull no matter how their owners are!

Well the factory bumper is worthless,thats why we run bumpers like from AJ's, JCR,etc!!

mjma said:

1595969_188_full.jpg

Hey nice Explorer wheels! I run those too. good offset fer minimal rubbin. Anyway, Check out this for ideas.http://detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

CIMG3142.jpg

CIMG3145.jpg

Sliced even with a Rusty'd tow hook frame bracket on each side. Then the bumper ends were capped.

Back