• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disconnect with Detroit locker

righthandfork

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the forum and have a question about a locker in my front diff. I searched the threads on the topic and couldn’t find the answer, but I apologize if this has been asked before. I have an ’87 XJ with a D30 disconnect and I replaced the vacuum actuator with a 4x4 posi-lok cable and like it much better. I was wondering if anyone had installed a Detroit locker with this setup and how it handled on pavement? In theory, since the right axle is disconnected in 2WD, it seems like it would drive like it had an open axle.

If you are going to put a Det locker in then your better off upgrading the axles. All you need are any non-disconnect shafts and they will replace your disconnect shafts. Then you can run the much better 290x joints.

And a Detroit Locker is a full time automatic locker, it's said to have some chirping to it and is OK for a DD but the Det. TRu Trac is better recommend for the type of DD Jeep. This being that the fully locked catches when turning being tight for the traction, minimizing the smoothness of the turning radius, where the tru trac is more free moving for those daily demands of DD.

When tires are locked both tires turn at same rate, with disconnect this will allow which ever tire to turn faster than the other for making that turn.
But I could say with the Detroit locker installed then having the disconnect this would be desirable for DD as well. Then you can disengage the axles thus allowing for better turning radius and what not for street use. So really would handle nicely. I've heard of some people running something of this sort along this line of reasoning.

righthandfork said:
I am new to the forum and have a question about a locker in my front diff. I searched the threads on the topic and couldn’t find the answer, but I apologize if this has been asked before. I have an ’87 XJ with a D30 disconnect and I replaced the vacuum actuator with a 4x4 posi-lok cable and like it much better. I was wondering if anyone had installed a Detroit locker with this setup and how it handled on pavement? In theory, since the right axle is disconnected in 2WD, it seems like it would drive like it had an open axle.

With it Disconnected, you will not even notice it's there. It should not pull, chirp, or otherwise drive weird. If your running over 33's, or are in the rocks, throw in some 95 wrangler axles. That will get you the larger U-joints while keeping the disconnect feature.

Jeremy

Back