• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Cover

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am having a D44 built for the rear of my XJ. The company that is building it also ordered the parst including a cover made by 'SOLID'.
I received a call from them this morning stating the axle have been built and ready to be picked up except 4 of the cover bolts do not line up and offered to ordered for me a different cover at more than twics the price of the one from SOLID + shipping. I refused their offer stating I will collect the axle minus the cover.
Could this be a ploy to get me to spend more money? Anyway, I will be getting my diff cover from another source. The next fight will be getting them to take the $120.00 dollars off my bill.

my rockcrusher cover (same as solid) had the same problem only with the top bolt. i lived with it. what you could do is drill out the 4 holes a small amount so they would line up with the housing.

Hey try this... Get them to show you why it won't line up. Also, take the factory cover and mate it to the solid cover. See if it is the solid cover or it is the housing somehow. I have a hard time believing the solid cover won't line up properly. Maybe they ordered the wrong cover??? One thing about the solid that I noticed is that it comes unpainted and you have to paint it yourself. No big deal, but I didn't realize this untill it had a little rust on it.

Good luck!

You'd think that any company who can build a rear end would be smart enough to check on this first. This should be an embaristment to them. This makes me think they don't know what they're doing... Anyhow, I'd make them take the $120 off before you take delivery. Hopefully the rest of the axel kicks ass.

I have a SOLID rear diff cover, same design as rock crusher, and it fits my XJ rear D44!! Maybe they ordered one for the wrong axle??

mattyj said:
I have a Riddler nodular iron.... super tough,low profile and perfect fit!
http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=10892

X2 on the Riddler.Here is my front one.Also have a rear 44 one too, but haven't swapped the axle in yet.

original.jpg

Have them show you how it doesn't "fit", and if it is a problem, they should be able to contact SOLID and have them send out a replacement. i had a problem with one of my SOLID covers, and they were more than helpfull in getting the problem resolved. I've had 2 of the solid covers, and haven't had any fitment issues.

I will let them keep their cover and get my own. There are a few issues that I am not comfortable with so I will go it alone or with a different outfit from here. I should have bought tools and setup my gears myself.
It is a national chain store that just opened a branch in Miami. My opinoin is the sales clerk and the techs are still wet behind the ears (like a new born baby). Going solo from here will help me keep my sanity :smoker: and at the same time prevent me from being dis-respectful.
Thanks guys. Your input means a lot to me.
:clap:

you started properly by saying "bought tools", by you may have jumped the gun by saying "setup my gears myself". it's not impossible, but it's something you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to research ALOT and be EXTREMELY precise on. it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least find somebody who is very capable of doing gears professionally and paying him on the side to do the gears and show you how it's done.

Back