• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sanity Check

xiphias

NAXJA Forum User
So my last Cherokee had a dead engine and it went to the junkyard. I didn't make the decision to get rid of it, but came to it gone. Rather not share that story, though, heh ;)

So while I'm looking for a newer one, preferably an '01. I'm doing some sanity checking here, because I figure you guys know best. Plans would be to find a local 01, in any trim level, that isn't all rusted out., and lift it and add components to make it a tough little road-going / mild offroader.
I'm in (southeast) WI so everything tends to be rusted. If I can find something not rusted then it'd be a good base and easy to wrench on. Oh, and also being WI / the midwest, it's not going to be built up to crawl rocks or mud, but definitely needs better than stock off road, bomb down fire lanes, claw through snow and go down the highway smooth.

Probably start out with a RE 3.5" superflex kit, with full leafs in the back (not add-a-leafs). I have a set of very nice welded Teraflex extended shackles that are brand new, so those would go on and net about 4" lift in the rear. Up front some urethane coil spacers to level it out Slip Yoke kit for the transfer case. Steering brace and the C-Rok frame reinforcement plate for the steering box. Debating whether a hydro-assist might be worthwhile to make steering rock-solid. Oh, and probably a heavier tie rod. 31-33" Trxs MTs depending on what fits best, for their superior ice/snow handling.

Rock sliders, dunno what kind yet, but I like the double-tube kind that wrap up by the body. Would definitely need a new front bumper and rear bumper, to get rid of that ugly plastic/fibreglass deal they put on the later cherokees.

Just trying to plan things, I know there's currently no jeep and I'm not working on it yet but the "Sanity Check" is that I don't have a garage. I want to do this all outside in the parking lot (when it is a little warmer, at least) without a dedicated work space or specialized tools beyond what is normally required. Doable?

Also, sorry if this is a confusing, stream-of-consciousness post. So flame if you want. All I can say is, I have bronchitis right now & cold medicine is really interesting :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
the 3.5" RE sits close to 4" as is. if you added shackles and leveled it out you could fit 32's or maybe 33's, depending how much you trim. im sure it could be done, its just how much your willing to spend. would deff. get a sye and new ds and in addition to the tierod probly a new tracbar. im no expert though so other people might have more to add.

Don't rule out a clean 97 or 98 because they have high pinion front Dana 30's,a better cylinder head and less emission controls.

Noticed the RE 3.5" kit doesn't come with shocks or a new trackbar, so that is kind of a minus. Can I buy RE parts in a non-kit form? Has anyone ever done a sort of 'hybrid' of an Old Man Emu Cherokee lift with Rubicon Express control arms, trackbar, & disconnects?
With shackles and the coil spacers the OME lift would be closer to the RE 3.5" lift height, I imagine, and (correct me if I'm wrong) cost about the same with better on-road ride.

Is Custom 4x4 Fabrication still around? Their website doesn't look like it has been updated in awhile. If they are, I'm thinking about the tapered front bumper, rear bumper (for possibility of adding the swing-away tire carrier), and their double-tube sliders.

Stumpalump said:
Don't rule out a clean 97 or 98 because they have high pinion front Dana 30's,a better cylinder head and less emission controls.
x2

You won't need assist with 31" tires. as well

you can buy RE kits with shocks and sometimes tracbars. you can peice together your own kit with RE stuff. i recommend jeepinoutfitters.com. they offer a 5% discount and most stuff has free shipping. i think the code is jfm05. the OME shocks are like $300 a set in some places but they do ride nicely.

RyanM said:
x2

You won't need assist with 31" tires. as well

It's just hard to find something other than the odd '00 or '01 that isn't rusted out and over 150K on the odo. And I'd rather not bother trying to work on a rusted/seized suspension if I can avoid it.

Check out some of NAXJA's sponsors, and call and Talk to one, or DC4WD.com is popular. Talk to someone on the phone, and they will hook you up. Don't do it all via keyboard and mouse

edit, saw your post- look below the mason dixon :) 150 aint much

Ya'll forgetting the most perfect year of all? 99......

DPG offroad offers hybrid kits (RE and OME). Instead of a new tie rod I would go with a JCR 1 ton steering kit, it is pretty much bulletproof. If your seeing alot of highway time it might be a good idea to regear to 4.10's if your going on 31's. Everything can be done in the driveway you have stated except the SYE, you need a shop to work on that, and gears are the same way.

-Alex

Even the SYE can be done in the driveway. It's not that hard at all. Did it in a day never having opened up a transfercase before. Even rebuilt it with new bearings and seals.

RyanM said:
Check out some of NAXJA's sponsors, and call and Talk to one, or DC4WD.com is popular. Talk to someone on the phone, and they will hook you up. Don't do it all via keyboard and mouse

edit, saw your post- look below the mason dixon :) 150 aint much

Without a car, getting down there to look at Jeeps is an issue; this will be the new daily driver.

As far as the hydro, I've had heavy steering stabilizers in the past and while they caused the jeep to track true, I always got complaints from other people driving that the steering 'wandered' or felt loose (it wasn't, just that they weren't used to a car that had a little play in the steering wheel end and a really torque-y steering box)
So I figured a hydro-assist in place of the stabilizer might be the way to go in the future for even more solid steering. I guess I should've mentioned that when I brought up the hydro.

ZacSquatch said:
Ya'll forgetting the most perfect year of all? 99......

i agree. most recent year with the HP30 and 29 spline 8.25. Forget the limited, if you are wheeling it, why pay extra for something you are gonna tear up? I wouldn't even go for a classic. You'll eventually pull of the bumpers and the door trim, and probably even the flares, so who cares if they are body colored? You're just gonna get dirt and mud inside, tear up the leather, etc etc.

My vote, go for a 99 sport or whatever the base is.

Back