• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Rubicon axle lock switch

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping out my axles for stronger ones. The new ones will have lockers front and rear so I'm now in the process of looking for nice switches to activate the lockers with. One switch in particular that caught my fancy is the Axle Lock switch as used in the TJ Rubicon. This will be a nice OE fit in the switch bezel which I'd really like, but will this switch work as just a plain switch? On the Rubicon I know you press it once for the rear locker, again for both front and rear and again to disengage. I also know there are a number of people who rewire it to allow for more flexibility. My question in short is: can this switch simply be used as a normal switch (i.e. to send a signal to a solenoid) or is it reliant on other inputs as well to work - has anybody else used this switch in their Cherokee?

Anybody? Surely the use of this axle lock switch must have crossed someone's mind before - especially seeing that it should be a clean fit in the dash.

Here's a pic:
axlelockswitch38.jpg
axle%20lock%20switch.jpg

I would bet you could figure it out. Get in touch with someone that has a TJ Rubicon FSM and figure out what the pinouts do, and wire it to work the way you want it.

I tried that switch when I wired up my front Rubicon axel. It is a cheap flimsy switch that would defenitly need to run a solinoid. It had at least 6 terminals burried in it and I wanted a more reliable setup so I ditched the factory switch. I wound up just using a nice toggle switch and indicator lamp available at any parts store. Well any American parts store but It made it a lot simpler, stronger and less confusing than trying to fiqure the factory switch with it's built in lamp and small burried terminals. Grab the switch connector from a doner vehicle if you are still going to go that rought so you will have somthing to connect the wires too.

I think it's a MUX circuit. Each time you hit the button a different voltage signal is sent to the ECU....first time locks the rear....second time locks the front....third time unlocks the front......fourt time unlocks the rear.....If you pull up on it, it unlocks both at the same time. It's not a regular type of on/off switch

Justin

Does anyone have an image of the pinouts on the back?

Root Moose said:

Give me a minuite....of few.....

Edit....I will have to get it work, unless someone else wants to post it.

Justin

Last edited:
Root Moose said:
Shoot me a PM with a fax number and I'll send you the copy I have. I'm sending the switch I have to gorman in South Africa and I throw copies of what I have in the box for you too.

How did you make out with this? I am looking to do the same with mine.

It worked perfectly, had to lose the functionaility of the 12V socket due to the size of the axle lock switch at the back, also had to rearrange the switches a little to get the axle lock switch to sit on the side. Here's a couple of pics.

Img_6298.jpg

Img_6299.jpg

Img_6300.jpg

Img_6301.jpg

How about taking a stock fog light switch, removing the axle lock switch cover and replacing it on the fog light switch?

If you have the cover of an axle lock switch you most likely have the whole switch in which case you can just as well use it. Advantages if the axle lock switch over the normal fog light swithch is that it has the ability to operate two lockers and it also have a safety feature whereby it resets to the off position as soon as the ignition is switched off which means it can't be accidently engaged while the vehicle is being cleaned, etc.

you can buy a bunch of different ones on eBay

I'm starting to think maybe it's a backup light switch?

It's not a fog light switch. It's flipped 180º and the lines are directly straight instead of at an angle. Check out the differences:

29ngu20.png

You can also very clearly see that there is a difference in circuitry between the switch I'm inquiring, and the fog light switch:

2mo2djr.png

Last edited:
Maybe rear fog? Mandatory in some jurisdictions outside North America.

Cheap switches are probably all Chinese BJ2500 parts (speculating).

Back