• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to tow it

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi again folks. Although this has been asked a million times before. I did search and found many conflicting results.
So here is what I want to do.
Tow an XJ with a Tow Dolly.

Tell me if I am on the right track.

Drive XJ onto dolly.
Secure it with straps.
Undo rear driveshaft at rear dif.
Tie up the shaft to the unibody.
Place trans in Park and Transfer Case in N

Drive 450 miles to VA.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I want to leave the shaft in the TC so I dont have to screw around with a plastic bag wrapped around a TC.

All comments and experiences welcome.
Thank you.

hey man, sounds like a plan but take the DS out all together. do you think the weight of the DS bouncing around might mess up the rear TC seal?
personally i would just drain the TC and pop the whole DS off and top off the TC and reinstall DS after arrived as opposed to risking damage to the tc seal.

maybe either way would be fine though.

cant you just leave the t-case in neutral and tranny in park or neutral? or back it on the dolly and tie the wheel strait leaving the key in the unlocked position not to damage the lock pin. if the hubs are unlocked the wheels would just be moving.

in the book it say do not disconnect the rear prop shaft (asuming its DS) but is says if vehical must be towed with front or rear wheels on the ground speed should be limited to 30mph. but that is towing disabled. recreational has shift to 2H make sure the hubs are unlocked. driving forward and back 10ft. then shift tranny to neutral. turn off engine. to the unlocked off. shift t-case from 2H to neutral. shift tranny to park.

90xj06 said:
in the book it say do not disconnect the rear prop shaft (asuming its DS) but is says if vehical must be towed with front or rear wheels on the ground speed should be limited to 30mph. but that is towing disabled. recreational has shift to 2H make sure the hubs are unlocked. driving forward and back 10ft. then shift tranny to neutral. turn off engine. to the unlocked off. shift t-case from 2H to neutral. shift tranny to park.

huh?

Back