• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd ball axles?

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
no, theres nothing in appearance that would signify them to be odd in anyway... but I have a habit of jumping my jeep alot. (look at my Avator picture - thats not the biggest jump its seen either) I would say that 39 out of 40 times, nothing breaks. And only once has something that needed a repair broke. And yes, it has been jumped more then 40 times. (its been going airborne for about a year now anytime in the dunes and sometimes on the trail) I think someone has told me "wow, in the last 15 minutes I saw air under 2 or 4 tires... about 9 times." Once I had to ziptie my speaker bar in the rear back up. Once on a not so straight landing I put a bend in my LCA axle side mount. Out this past weekend I was jumping with fairly high PSI and a couple of people in the rig and after a bit I heard a clunk... and the rear leaf spring snapped.

Now, I am trussing the front axle this weekend because I'm going out to the dunes in a couple weeks. But I kinda wonder why the front axle has not exploded completely yet. I remember once that I had some awfully long airtime... where I actually had time to think - since it was dark and I couldn't see the ground beneath me very well; " huh, I wonder if I actually left the ground... I havent felt a big impact from landing" 1... 2.... Bam! That was out in the dunes, not on the trail like last weekend, but I probably had between 4 and 6 feet of air the whole time and landed quite a ways off.

so... taking measurements recently my 8.25 and Dana 30 are straight or are within less then a 1/16th of an inch of being straight. is this odd? I ask because I know I need to truss the front end, but I've heard the 8.25 is actually quite well off even compared to XJ-D44s because of the thicker axle tubes. Should these usually be trussed for this kinda abuse, or would it be fine? I see lots of 35/44 trusses but not so much with 8.25s... but I'm also thinking if I want to keep it in one piece driving it this way, it needs to be trussed no matter what it is. oh, and anyone else had a magical Dana 30 from Heaven? (someone else called mine that)

Their Magic axles.. nuff said

I have seen a dana 30 bend to hell the first time it was ever jumped, this was on a stock grand cherokee to and he went really big! Truss them both if you jump it at all.

Last edited:
IF i jump it At All? muahahaha....

yeah, i am trussing the front end saturday. im just wondering how vulnerable an 8.25 is to bending without much more weight then a spare tire and cooler in the back.

and yeah, at some point im going to go with the TNT stiffeners and a good cage. i imagine that will hold it together for the most part.

well, i trussed the front 30; but then it was jumped many many times and way too hard. to give you a clue, the mechanical airbag got mad on landing and went off in my face. The C's weren't trussed - those bent upwards, and both pass and driver side tubes are bowed upwards and back.

it was not an easy weekend for the jeep... poor dana 30.

Yeah, after trussing my 30 I bent the c's too. I bent them back and they are getting gusseted.

Get some deaver leaves and some good shocks!

CommandoXJ96 said:
well, i trussed the front 30; but then it was jumped many many times and way too hard. to give you a clue, the mechanical airbag got mad on landing and went off in my face. The C's weren't trussed - those bent upwards, and both pass and driver side tubes are bowed upwards and back.

it was not an easy weekend for the jeep... poor dana 30.

so you're saying that you made one area stronger, so the other parts bent...

Figures.......:smsoap:

BUT! that's what happens. you make it stronger and it prevents it from flexing, absorbing shock, which makes stuff start breaking.:rattle:

magical axles are da bomb diggity!:yelclap::jester:

Back