• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans shifting problems, need help !!

Razz909

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 cherokee, will only shift to 1st, and 2ed gears, will not contuine on to 3ed or 4th. I have been trying everything , checking selenoids(replaced them,1 at a time, both new now)tried a diffrent TCU, no help. disconnected the TCU and tried to shift to each gear, only having 1st gear there!no matter where shifter was placed.also a new throttle sensor was put in too. This jeep runs well(inline 6) and works in reverse and two forward gears strong, I dont belive that the tranny is having problems, but then again I don't know much about them really! Another problem is I'm in Pureto Rico and don't speak much spanish( learning fast though..) moved here from Montana. I am getting to know my way around the AW4 well now, any one has any advice I'll listen. Thanks.. and to those interested.. it looks to be a great place(Puerto Rico) to 4x4 here, lots of mountain trails and beaches, great weather too..

did you set the tps to the proper specs?

the tps needs to be adjusted properly.

if you search for ecomike or renix files, you will find the procedure

not sure if it controls up shifting shifting, but the TV(throttle valve) cable may be out of adjustment.

Did you replace the throttle position sensor too?

When I adjusted my trottle valve cable I also changed out my throttle position sensor. Before I tried everything out on the road, I pulled off the air tube that came from the air box and led to the throttle. I cleaned out all the crap inside there, which was needed pretty badly. One thing that I noticed was at if I manually pushed down on the trottle cable lever, the valve would not go to wide open throttle. I adjusted that and everything was fine.

If its an earlier model, there is a separate fuse for the trannsmission computer. Its in the wiring harness at the computer. Couldn't hurt to check it

Check your fuse panel for a trans fuse.
When I got mine the fuse was missing. Mine controls the power/comfort switch which has to be working also for the trans to work properly.
You can check to see if it is mechanical or electrical by completely disconnecting the TCU. Go for a test drive and if you can shift it thru the gears manually it's .... a electrical problem and your trans might just be OK.

Back