• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition?

redrider

NAXJA Forum User
ive been searching through every forum on here and alot of it tells you what to do but. im not sure which part i need to replace. ignition switch or the key lock.
heres my deal. i go to friends house one day to visit and my key turns back just enough to turn the engine off, but wont let me get it out. like its locked in there. so i turn it back on and drive home thinking ill fix it when i get there. so i get home and the key turns back like its suppose to. i think to my self dang thats weird. so i put the key back in and turn it on and now my radio, wipers, and blinkers dont work. i checked every fuse in my jeep and everythings good. so the engine turns on and drives the same but its like the jeep doesnt register that the key is in the on position.
my jeeps a 94 country with tilt column.

I'm pretty sure the key lock is only a metal, mechanical cylinder, that actually turns the ignition switch witch opens and closes the electrical contacts, depending on the postion it gets turned to...
So if my thinking is correct, my guess is that the ignition switch is your problem.

so if the key still turns the engine on that means that the rod has been pushed into the ignition switch. which makes the ignition faulty?

The stuff that starts the motor is mechanical. The parts that switch on the radio and other stuff is an actual electrical switch. You may need a new ignition switch or just repairs on the original one.

clicky here ---http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

@ redrider....The switch is in several seperate parts electrically.
One part faulty could well cause the radio, blinkers, and wipers to fail.
That even matches up with my "old" schematic..

mcque in tims link it shows the rod pushing through the column back to the switch. so in my mind it would have to be in the switch i guess.

ok i got the ignition switch out and have a new one. im having trouble on how the rod connects to the switch. i couldnt really see up under there when i pulled it. help.

The end of the rod bends up and the switch sits down on it. Hold the switch in its mounted position and note the hole facing down. You can stick a small screwdriver or similar in the hole and slide the switch to the various positions just to be sure you are looking at the correct hole.

so the rod doesnt go in the side of the switch. the original one had a hole underneath but the one i have doesnt. the original one has a spring like pin that pushes down.

might have the wrong part. bring both parts with you and go back to autoparts store.

may have got a part for a grand cherokee.

no i just got back and its the part that comes up. the only way to do this is to tweak the rod into the side of the new switch.

One possibility -- tilt switch is different.

Mine is a 93 but I believe 93 and 94 are the same. I can't find my old switch offhand to see if it has the pin. I know I originally envisioned the switch as going upside down from the proper way and could not see how the rod end would fit.

I will have another go at finding my old switch. I can't envision any way that you can make the whole thing work by plugging the rod into what I would call the side of the switch.

I found the old switch. The side with the spring pin points to the left, the plug points to the right and the slot with the sliding plastic piece with the hole for the rod points down. As I look at it I realize that I went through the same exercise as you before I figured out I had it upside down or backwards or whatever.

If this is an automatic, I'd check the Park interlock cable. If that's out of adjustment, or you didn't put it in park, then you will not be able to turn the key back to the lock position. If the key isn't springing all the way back from the start position to run, you won't have power to the accessories either.

ok i went to napa and bought theres and it looks exactly like the original. all i need to know is where the ignition rod goes into the switch?

Back