• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Advise

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
So ... I have been reading a lot about lockers. I am going to be upgrading my LP30 to a HP30 and my 8.25 to a D44. I am going to be 100% rebuilding them ... new gears, bearings, seals, etc. As I work thorugh this, I want to lok 'em up. So, you guys need to know my usage ... my XJ is used as a hunting rig and trail jeep with some DD time as well. Normally muddy trails with the occasional slippery stuff. It is not a rock crawler. It rolls on 32" tires and I will be putting in 4.10 gears.

So I am thinking about a lock-right in the front and a no-slip in the rear. I am really not enthusiastic about a selectable. I had an ARB back in the day and was plagued by leaks. So, what do you guys think ?

Check out OX lockers. My brother runs them front and rear and loves them. While your doing it though get 30 spline shafts up front and 33 spline shafts in the rear. You wont regret it! It will be rather expensive though

edit: red what your usages are for it.. If you want cheaper go lock-rites front and rear. (thats what i run and ive never had problems) And if you do that use the axle shafts from your low piniont axle in the hp axle.

4.56 gears will get better gas mileage than 4.10's, and your rig will drive nicer.

An Aussie for the rear is a little stronger than a no-slip (arguabley) and is cheaper.

Your wasting your time & money going to a 44!! 8.25 is just as strong(29 spline) and you can lock it with ARB. Also Superior is coming out with 4.88 for the 8.25. Your money & time, My 2cents.

ColoradoRaptor said:
Your wasting your time & money going to a 44!! 8.25 is just as strong(29 spline) and you can lock it with ARB. Also Superior is coming out with 4.88 for the 8.25. Your money & time, My 2cents.

44 cost me almost nothing ($75) ... I need gears and to lock the rear anyway ... so it is worth the $75 for me to be able to do it out of the vehicle. Also, the 44 has larger brakes ...

I like i said, I am leary of ARB as i have had leaks previously. Also ... NO ROCKS ... please bear that in mind. I have looked in to th OX ... I like its features ... not so much its price ... but OX is a close # 2. I am really looking to find out how a setup like this would work out for me. Any experience with this setup ?

Last edited:
Aussie front here and Detriot rear. The Aussie is pretty much invisible on the street in 2wd, but the Detriot isn't. With an automatic locker in the rear, you are going to notice it on the street and have to adjust your driving style.

I run a full Detroit in my D44 and a True Trac in my HP D30. I plan on chaning the from to an electric later this year.

This is my daily driver as well. It sees rocks, dirt, a little mud, and alot of pavement.

Good luck!

Forget OX, cables are touchy and I seen one that had started coming apart(not the cable either!!)! Just ask Frank Z! If I were to upgrade I would wait for a good deal on 60's....:peace:

I don't know if I was going through the effort to swap the front axle, if I'd just do a Dana30. I'd definitely go with 4:56's at least, if not 4:88's. I run lock rights front and rear, they aren't too bad, but some people may not like them if they are driving daily a lot, especially in parking lots and tight turning with the front lockright. A selectable front may be an idea to consider.

I run a lockright in the front model 30 and a no-slip in the 8.25 in the rear. It is a cheap way to lock both axles. It works for me. Mine is not a daily driver, but I do like them on the road.

mikegronholz said:
I like i said, I am leary of ARB as i have had leaks previously. Also ... NO ROCKS ... please bear that in mind. I have looked in to th OX ... I like its features ... not so much its price ... but OX is a close # 2. I am really looking to find out how a setup like this would work out for me. Any experience with this setup ?

98% of ARB leaks are from installation error.........Plus ARB has worked out alot of bugs over the years. I know many that have had them for many years, both front and rear with no leak problems, including me for the past year or so.

BUT if your not going with rocks....then selectables are a little pricey for what your doing...........I would go with an Auto locker of some kind

mikegronholz said:
So ... I have been reading a lot about lockers. I am going to be upgrading my LP30 to a HP30 and my 8.25 to a D44. I am going to be 100% rebuilding them ... new gears, bearings, seals, etc. As I work thorugh this, I want to lok 'em up. So, you guys need to know my usage ... my XJ is used as a hunting rig and trail jeep with some DD time as well. Normally muddy trails with the occasional slippery stuff. It is not a rock crawler. It rolls on 32" tires and I will be putting in 4.10 gears.

So I am thinking about a lock-right in the front and a no-slip in the rear. I am really not enthusiastic about a selectable. I had an ARB back in the day and was plagued by leaks. So, what do you guys think ?

From previous posts, you've got an automatic and 3.55 gears. . .

Going to 4.10s (or 4.56's) will require a new carrier so I'd consider a carrier replacement locker over a lunchbox. With an automatic, a full Detroit in the back isn't bad on the street, and it's everything you could want off-road.

In the front, I went with a TrueTrac (I got a deal so it was only about $100 more than a new carrier) - Yeah, "it's only an LSD", but, it's a whole lot better than an open carrier - Since you are NOT rock crawling, and getting air with a tire, it may work for you. . .

The combination works real well for me, and it keeps everything simple while minimizing stress on the Dana 30.

Back