• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case issues- Help

19XJ90

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ with What I THINK is a 242 t-case. It has the 4 wheel part and Full time modes, So I assume it is a 242.

I live in Utah and have been using my 4 wheel drive ALOT lately, and I noticed a wierd issue.

If I pull into my driveway in 2 wheel and cant climb it, I pull the lever back to part time, and it just sits there and grinds. If I pull it to full time, It will USUALLY work right away but will be in part time for a bit. Sometimes I will have to reverse first.

Once it is engaged in either gear it seems to work great but getting it engaged is the trick. This has been an issue where I have needed to get into 4 wheel quickly.

Is it best to be at a complete stop when you switch or does it not matter. It seems to like going a little more if I am moving already. If I am stuck, it doesnt like to go in.

ANY THOUGHTS?

both high range can be engaged while moving, lowrange you should be stopped in neutral, that grinding noise is very bad!!, adjust the trasfer case linkage, sounds like its out of adjustment. Why not leave it in fulltime? Thats what its there for

x2 sounds like a linkage prob. to me, I have 231 but the adjustment procedure should be the same. remove the plastic cover and pull the lever back into 4low, place a 1/8" shim between the lever and the hole in the floor, then loosen the bolt on the linkage and wiggle the rod untill it is where it want to be then tighten the bolt back up, and reassmble.

shifting works best for me to let off the gas and pull into 4hi then apply gas again, and 4 low you should be in neutral to shift.

Back