• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

silly little horn problem

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a stupid little problem with my horn. Its not a big deal because I rarely use my horn but when I do, it sounds like a little baby horn and its not nearly as loud as it should be. I thought it would be a simple fix and its turned out to be a little more complicated.
The horn on the passenger side doesnt work. Its plugged in, Ive traced the wires as well as I can without tearing the harness apart and I dont see anything wrong. Theres no juice to the passenger horn. I have no idea when it stopped working. The drivers side horn works fine.

I couldnt tell you cause i almost have the same problem except... my horn doesnt work at all and my cruise control doesnt work and i hope my airbag works its all in my steering area thats bad..wish i could help maybe if i find the problem when i go to fix mine i can let you know.

I think you should be able to run a jumper from the working one to the non working one. You might swap them to make sure it's not the horn itself also.

I replaced my horns, and now they sound baby again too.

I think the mud/water in them doesn't help.

I even aimed them with the "opening" facing down more to help crap drain out. Still didn't help.

maybe mounting the horns higher up somewhere would help. like maybe the top of the wheel wells or up in front of the radiator. replacements can be easily had at the junkyard. how bout some from a pickup or something. maybe theyd be tougher and deeper in sound. could always get some air horns and mount them to your roof but that might be overkill.

I mounted mine behind the crossmember, didn't seem to stop the mud and water from getting to them.

You could mount them in the engine compartment though.

However I got a 100 watt airhorn to replace my horns anyway so when the sirenbox is switched on, the horns become disabled and only the airhorn operates anyway. More effective to say the least :)

mine took a crap so i just got an airhorn also, but i recently let a freind use the jeep on a drivers test, the instructior said the horn was illegal. exact words were "i know you think that horn is cutesie but its not legal" WTF makes it not legal?!

fitbmxseries1 said:
mine took a crap so i just got an airhorn also, but i recently let a freind use the jeep on a drivers test, the instructior said the horn was illegal. exact words were "i know you think that horn is cutesie but its not legal" WTF makes it not legal?!

Where do you live? Some states put restrictions on horn volume. Also, heigh restrictions vary by state as well. Here in Indiana, the limit is that our bumper can't be 37 (or was if 34) inches from the pavement. The only horn restriction is that you have to use if prudently (don't be a d*ck).

after a few runs through almost headlight-deep water, one of my horns stopped working and the othe was all full of water. the jeep sounded ridiculous. i replaced them with some carquest universal "freeway blaster" horns which have survived submerging much better than the originals.

CAXJ99 said:
I couldnt tell you cause i almost have the same problem except... my horn doesnt work at all and my cruise control doesnt work and i hope my airbag works its all in my steering area thats bad..wish i could help maybe if i find the problem when i go to fix mine i can let you know.
You sir have a broken clockspring. It's behind the steering wheel, go buy one, unplug your battery, wait ten minutes, rent a steering wheel puller, unbolt the airbag, unbolt the steering wheel and replace it. 30min job you'll be all better

I junked both of the stock horns and put in one of those "Beep-Beep" type horns like the old CJ's have. I think it sounds more like a Jeep horn and was only $12 at Advance Auto.

Gravesdiggerxj said:
You sir have a broken clockspring. It's behind the steering wheel, go buy one, unplug your battery, wait ten minutes, rent a steering wheel puller, unbolt the airbag, unbolt the steering wheel and replace it. 30min job you'll be all better

AHHH thanks fantastic i appreciate it

thanks you sir. :sunshine:

dont want to be a gay here... but did you check the ground?i had the same problem and it was the ground...

85xjproject said:
dont want to be a gay here

Well... now I just have to ask.... Are you "gay" anywhere else??? :roll: :roflmao: :laugh2: :laugh: :rof:

:cheers:

I've learned cadiallac horns sound the best, and have the fullest tone. Almost like a train, but less volume. However they also have 3 from the factory :)

crystalship1 said:
Well... now I just have to ask.... Are you "gay" anywhere else??? :roll: :roflmao: :laugh2: :laugh: :rof:

:cheers:
haha dam im good at shooting myself in the foot:doh:

Back