• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

map light bulb replacement 95 xj

alex673

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all
I have a 95 xj limited with the overhead console. the rear map light bulbs have both blown, and I have no idea how to replace them. I tried prying the console and nearly snapped it and can't find screws or other fixings to remove to get to the inside of the lights.
I must admit I aren't very good with this sort of thing but I will give anything a go.

Thanks in advance

alex

alex673 said:
Hi all
I have a 95 xj limited with the overhead console. the rear map light bulbs have both blown, and I have no idea how to replace them. I tried prying the console and nearly snapped it and can't find screws or other fixings to remove to get to the inside of the lights.
I must admit I aren't very good with this sort of thing but I will give anything a go.

Thanks in advance

alex

Well.... if it's like my '97, you'll need to look for a couple of screws near where the sun visors "ears" snap into the console. Once you find and remove those screws, the console should drop down in front. You'll need to un-plug a plug (or two), then the whole console can be eased out from the opposite end. From there you can flip the console over and easily get to the bulbs. I'd recommend that you consider changing all the bulbs so that you don't have to repeat this anytime soon. Good Luck!! :cheers:

97+ consoles are different than 96-.

remove the screw from the front of the console
slide the console back, and the down and forward
unplug the harnsess(es)
carefully undo clips until the rear assembly comes apart and you can get to the bulbs.

h2opete987 said:
97+ consoles are different than 96-.

remove the screw from the front of the console
slide the console back, and the down and forward
unplug the harnsess(es)
carefully undo clips until the rear assembly comes apart and you can get to the bulbs.

Yeah.... that sounds entirely different than what I said. :rolleyes:

h2opete987 said:
sorry bout that...
my brain's been a bit fried from classes.

Hehehehe... no problemo!!! :laugh3:

Back