• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow chains

Jump This

Just another minion!
How do they size snow chains?
Is a set adjustable to match either say, 33" to 35" tires or
are they size specific.
It has been snowing up at Big Bear and since I have been
doing a bit of commuting back and forth I'm thinking its time to
own a set, but I drive rigs with tire sizes that range from 31" up to 36"...

Rick

I've always wondered the logic of this myself but they're probably sized just like a tire with a bit more leeway. Since chains have always been a POA to me I bought an XJ to avoid the whole problem. Unfortunately a Class 3 chain control in CA requires that everything moving has chains on it. Class 3's don't happen often, but they do happen. They usually close I-80 before a Class 3 happens because of all the jack-knifed big rigs over Donner Pass.

All chains (includinding cable "chains") are adjustable to a point, to within a link or four with some sort of finite width and length. I am not sure of the particulars but if there's any question I'd go to Big O, Les Schwab, Wal-Mart (who ever sells tires) and match up what you have with what they got. As an example, all 31"x10.50's are a tiny bit different, so go chain sizes. If it's just a matter of an inch or three you can always move a link, and thats why there are chain "tighteners" and not chain looseners.

If your difference is between 31" and 36" I'd say you may need 2 sets. You can always tighten chains up a bit, but trying to stretch a chain is, well, impossible.

Good luck, if you find out anything else, let us know

This from a guy from Palm Coast Florida.
You think he lived in the snow for too damn long?
:D

Okay, it appears as though the cable chains have a lot of adjustment.
Any one run the cable chains around here?

Pros/cons?

Rick

Cable chains work fine except under the most extreme conditions (ice).
They have the added benefit of being a smoother ride and ,yes, more adjustment, but still not a 3-4 (diameter) inch difference.

If you're chained (cabled) on all four there's not much that will stop you except 3' (that's feet) of snow on the road. I've been on 18" of fresh snow on a gravel road with a 5% uphill grade with NO chains and been fine.

ROAD.jpg

ParadiseXJ said:
Cable chains work fine except under the most extreme conditions (ice).
They have the added benefit of being a smoother ride and ,yes, more adjustment, but still not a 3-4 (diameter) inch difference.

If you're chained (cabled) on all four there's not much that will stop you except 3' (that's feet) of snow on the road. I've been on 18" of fresh snow on a gravel road with a 5% uphill grade with NO chains and been fine.

ROAD.jpg

you've never seen the idiots around here in snow-- 3" (yes, thats inches) is enough to cancel school for a week-- I'm not kidding!:dunno:

Shorty said:

you've never seen the idiots around here in snow-- 3" (yes, thats inches) is enough to cancel school for a week-- I'm not kidding!:dunno:

i live in paradise too, it snowed 3 inches and my kid hasn't been to school all week. we have our fair share of stupidity here too.

rysam said:
i live in paradise too, it snowed 3 inches and my kid hasn't been to school all week. we have our fair share of stupidity here too.

I think it's a vicious circle-- idiots miss school and become bigger idiots which leads to more accidents which leads to missing more school..............:banghead:

I dont even brush my car off unless it has 4 inches!

kennzz05 said:

Funny. I was just looking there a few minutes ago for chains for the tractor (getting hard to push 4' of snow when the bottom layer is icy). I'm still in sticker shock at the $293 price tag for 2-link vbar chains.

To answer your question though, if the tires are the same width you can shorten the 36" chains to fit the 31" tires. The 36" chain set will be about a 15" longer which is way too much to try and take up with tensioners. You'd be good if your 36" were narrower, but I doubt that's the case.

Back