• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 link ?s

xj151

NAXJA Forum User
1st off how streetable is a rear 4 link. its not a dd but might see pavement everyonce in a while.

2nd off say i have a 4.5 inch lift and did the 4 link now, would i need to redo the 4link if i went with a bigger lift later on

A well done 4 link will drive better on the street, you will not have to change anything if you go bigger, assuming it is done right from the start. Best tip... Keep it low.

xj151 said:
1st off how streetable is a rear 4 link. its not a dd but might see pavement everyonce in a while.

2nd off say i have a 4.5 inch lift and did the 4 link now, would i need to redo the 4link if i went with a bigger lift later on

Do you have any fab skills? I mean youre going to need to create/buy:

rear crossmember
link material
inserts
joints
rear truss
tabs
misc stuff

If you do... go for it... I plan to in the near future but I'm going to run 14" Airshocks through the rear floor...

As for streetability... it'll drive just fine if triangulated correctly (or run a trackbar)..

I would say springs and shocks for the street, But I have never used coilovers.

ipkyss said:
I would say springs and shocks for the street, But I have never used coilovers.

So don't talk about what you dont know.. saves from SPOBI.

Lets make these easy to comprehend. Answer me this...

What are you NOT able to do with leaf springs that you THINK links can do?

If you can actually answer that with something that is factual and gives you reason to swap leafs for links, then answer this.

What is the purpose in half assing something with coils and shocks versus an air shock or coil over? If you say money. GTFO. :conceited

Think about this.. because I can guarentee you that you wont have an answer.

that's not exactly true either. if it's set up wrong he can have 10x as much wheel hop, which is the result of axle wrap, or the axle " wanting " to wrap with the 4 link.
i think coilover's are great, if you know how to set up the suspension to work with them, but with a small lift like he has, there's no need IMO. what's he going to gain over the leaf's he has now ?

thats true it if it set up correctly :the links set to the correct length, right spring rate you wouldn't get any wrap. i wouldn't do t for 4.5". i'm doing mine when i finish building my hp44/9" at 6" of lift

well with that said what is, if any, the ideal lift height for a rear 4 link? because if im doing all this i might as well lift it just one time. and what would be the difference between 4.5 if my fenders are cut and 6 inches if they werent?

Don't waste your time. Just keep the leaf springs, and when you finally have some opinions and real ideas about what you want to do with your rig, rather than have everyone else tell you what to do, then revisit the idea.

It's not often I agree with Scrappy ( :D ) but you'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble if you read his post again, and try and follow his advice.

ok first its not about money was wondering what would work better with the coilovers or the coil and shock. next your right to a certain extent on the leafs. tell me what leafs i can put in my jeep in the stock locations that will flex better and work better in high speed desert romps then a 4 link would. and i hope you are right on this. maybe i can save some MONEY

Deaver.

Gotta pay to play, no matter which route you go.

But, lemme get this straight: you're not against fabbing a 4-link, but you insist on keeping the stock leaf spring locations? That's stupid.

edit:

"More flex" is a poor reason.

"work better" in desert romps...elaborate. What's your current setup not doing?

vetteboy said:
Deaver.

Gotta pay to play, no matter which route you go.

But, lemme get this straight: you're not against fabbing a 4-link, but you insist on keeping the stock leaf spring locations? That's stupid.

edit:

"More flex" is a poor reason.

"work better" in desert romps...elaborate. What's your current setup not doing?

:D :thumbup:

x2

Did I just agree with Vette!?

Back