• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can my XJ handle this...Hitch Hauler?

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short, Im sick of jetski trailers and I may drive from MI to CA next summer and I want to take my jetski and no trailer. I alot of guys have used these hitch haulers, some custom some modified, I have seen one on a Grand Cherokee but usually trucks with frames. Here is a pic of what im talking about, my ski is about 300 lbs, similar to the one in the pic. http://x-h2o.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25962&d=1177335288

I just added a rough country 2" leaf spring, but I was dumb and took the big one out, still it made the jeep finally sit how it should, was sagging a lot before.

Im not so much worried about the read end sagging, mostly about ruining the frame. However, I dont want to hit bump stops either. Aso, I just took off my 1 1/4 hitch and im thinking about a Curt 2".

I have a ktm450, and its a little much, I use it for short trips.

ktm 250lbs dry, the xj has a class t 3 hitch, add a leaf and fullsize add a leaf, I noticed considerable flex in the hitch assembly, after a summer of use I noticed a stress crack starting in the end of the framerail from flexing, It cracked one add a leaf in half, never bottomed out the suspension though. Last fall I began running ratchet straps from the bike over the roof and to the tow hooks on my front winch bumper, this seems to help out alot. I plan on using it this year, My usual riding spot is only 4km from my house, anything further I will be using my dirtbike trailer. Isnt 300 lbs the max hitch weight? Just imagine hitting a pothole with that much weight on the rear!!

This is what I have http://www.discountramps.com/ultimate-mx-hauler.htm great idea just meant more for a truck or something with a solid frame

Last edited:
rust free 89, as far as I know they are about the same

I am going to go out on a limb here and ask if you cant just slide it into the back of the jeep? I am guessing you would do this if you did not have others going with you.

they beefed up the bodies a little in 96. So the newer ones should have a little longer life span. I'd recommend a Putnam hitch, from what I've seen they have the highest weight ratings out of all of the XJ hitches. 5000lb towing rating, 500lb tongue weight. Double if you have a weight distribution system.

I'd highly recommend using a trailer, but it's possible to use that rack. If you're worried, have a local shop make some reinforcement plates to weld onto the sides of the framerails to spread the load further down the frame.

My handle bars hit and the footpegs really rip up the carpet, no quick release system yet to remove the front tire!

just kidding, those things look pretty long I dont think he could shut the rear door

Good to know about 96+ is a lil bit stronger, hearing about cracks scared me a bit, but then again his jeep is also twice the age of mine as well. Ill look into putnam hitches. BTW, I have a perfect 2 place trailer, but if I move to CA I wont have room to park a trailer, but at my girlfriends parents house I can store the ski in their garage on a rolling shop stand in the corner.

installed it last night, what a pita for some reason, drivers side was easy just fishing he bolts and spacers through, passenger side sucked trying to use the existing weld nuts, they were all rusty and hard to get a bolt in but i didnt want to take the bumper off to pull it out and install like I did on the drivers side, I wonder whats stronger, probably newer hardware. Now I have to design and build the hitch hauler for my ski. Ya'll think 350 will be okay, the hitch says 500 lbs TW so it SHOULD.

Even if it is rated 500 lb, that's a lot of weight hanging off the back with a single connection. Note that the manuals usually say "not intended for offroad use" and also usually something about excessive speed - I think those are hints of the stresses involved. Thus, the 500lb rating may be a "fair weather" type scenario, like driving 55 down a smooth road. Even if you're careful, there's a danger of hitting a pothole or road trash.

For these reasons, I like the idea one guy mentioned of running straps over the jeep to the front bumper for reinforcement, especially for long trips.

Back