• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 rear

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
I went to my local PnP today and noticed that they had a waggy 44 rear end. I know it isnt a direct bolt in but what would I have to do to make it work other that changing the shock mounts. Would I need to narrow it as well? From inside of drum to inside of drum it measures about 52". Or should I just wait and pray that they bring in an xj with a d44? They have plenty of c8.25's by the way. I just dont know which way to go.... im only going to running 32's at the most.

It is .5" maybe narrower, no big deal. Lug pattern will be 6 lug. New spring perches would be needed as well. along with complete drum overhall. gears would be different as well.

See if they have a 8.8 for cheap. Disc, and they will probably be in good shape. 96-01

just saw your edit. a 8.25 should be fine on 32's or 33's. Locked even. Make sure you get a 96+ with the 29 spline shafts

i wouldnt even bother swapping in a different axle if 32s is the biggest you are going...what is the point? you will never break your dana 35 running 32 inch tires. i promise...unless you jump your jeep like i did.

seriously, though, i ran 33s locked on a dana 35 for a few years, never had a problem. I went to a 44 because i went up to 35" tires.

the Waggy rear end should be about 61" wide. about an inch wider than XJ

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
i wouldnt even bother swapping in a different axle if 32s is the biggest you are going...what is the point? you will never break your dana 35 running 32 inch tires. i promise...unless you jump your jeep like i did.

seriously, though, i ran 33s locked on a dana 35 for a few years, never had a problem. I went to a 44 because i went up to 35" tires.
:bs:
2b.jpg

13.jpg

broken_axle_part_1.jpg

ms79_420brokenAxle.jpg

1.jpg

brentDSC04516.jpg

ok, so never say never, any idoit can break an axle if they wheel stupidly

....but people dont give the dana 35 any credit....it makes the newbs think that even if they want to bump up one tire size that they needa 44 or 8.8.

if thats the first mod they wanna do thats fine....but, imo....live and learn. break somethin first...

i broke a dana 35 on stock tires when i hydroplaned off the road at 60 mph. never broke one wheelin. drive smart, skinny pedal doesnt get you unstuck.

-Tim

Last edited:
I would not wheel a dana 35 on 32's or 31's. I blew up my dana 35 the first time I ever did a powerbrake in my 87 XJ with 32X11.5 BFG M/T's. I am sure it would have broken easy offroad but at the time I was not really wheeling it.
Also when I blew up my dana 35 I went to a waggy 44 rear which believe it or not is more narrow than a XJ axle by about an inch. The waggy rear axle is not wider by any means, the front axle is wider though on a waggy. When I did the swap it was extremely easy, the only modification I had to do was add shock mounts! The leaf spring perches even lined up perfect and my factory e-brake cables plugged right in.
I am not sure what year it was but the older axles are even narrower than the newer wagy 44's, you don't want the older ones.

jeepboy381 said:
I would not wheel a dana 35 on 32's or 31's. I blew up my dana 35 the first time I ever did a powerbrake in my 87 XJ with 32X11.5 BFG M/T's.

c'mon dude, you know I'm not tryin to say the dana 35 is strong, i threw mine in the trash in favor of a rear XJ 44, which i put 33 spline CHromo shafts and Detroit in.

im just sayin its not worth the time to make the waggy rear end fit, have a different bolt pattern, to run tires that are 10% bigger than stock.

If he wanted that 8.25" i would say definitely yes.....that would be worth it for what he wants

-Tim

jeepboy381 said:
The waggy rear axle is not wider by any means, the front axle is wider though on a waggy.

The front and rear are different width?

Sorry for saying the rear was wider than XJ

The front axle on my '84 Grand Waggy was a dana 44 and it was a little wider, I scrapped the rear AMC 20, but I thought it was the same width...

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
ok, so never say never, any idoit can break an axle if they wheel stupidly

....but people dont give the dana 35 any credit....it makes the newbs think that even if they want to bump up one tire size that they needa 44 or 8.8.

if thats the first mod they wanna do thats fine....but, imo....live and learn. break somethin first...

i broke a dana 35 on stock tires when i hydroplaned off the road at 60 mph. never broke one wheelin. drive smart, skinny pedal doesnt get you unstuck.

-Tim

Went to the junk yard and pulled a 44 out of an xj that i didnt see before. I dont know about you jeepnuts.... but i don't like to wait till im on the trail to brake stuff. And you're pretty much a tard if you think the only reason I want ed a bigger axle is because of my tire size.

downhillracer said:
I went to my local PnP today and noticed that they had a waggy 44 rear end. I know it isnt a direct bolt in but what would I have to do to make it work other that changing the shock mounts. Would I need to narrow it as well? From inside of drum to inside of drum it measures about 52". Or should I just wait and pray that they bring in an xj with a d44? They have plenty of c8.25's by the way. I just dont know which way to go.... im only going to running 32's at the most.
mesure the with of the spring perches on the waggy 44, i belive there the same or a half inch off, if you say they got 8.25's then grab one from a 97+ and it will be a complete bolt in with the same bolt pattern, as far as the D35 goes, it a comlete pile of crap, and it not breakin on 31's or 32's, i blew up mine on 235's, ive seen one break behind a 4 cyl yj in the snow, dont even waste your time with it

downhillracer said:
Went to the junk yard and pulled a 44 out of an xj that i didnt see before. I dont know about you jeepnuts.... but i don't like to wait till im on the trail to brake stuff. And you're pretty much a tard if you think the only reason I want ed a bigger axle is because of my tire size.

im glad you found an XJ 44, those are nice axles and 100% bolt in. thats a good find. thats what my brother and I both run.

please enlighten me as to why you wanted a bigger axle, if it wasnt for strength....? more unsprung weight?

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:

the Waggy rear end should be about 61" wide. about an inch wider than XJ

-Tim

I've exploded D35's on stock tires...:moon:

BTW a Grand Wagoneer rear D44 is 58.5" wide. :D

jeepnuts311 said:
im glad you found an XJ 44, those are nice axles and 100% bolt in. thats a good find. thats what my brother and I both run.

please enlighten me as to why you wanted a bigger axle, if it wasnt for strength....? more unsprung weight?

-Tim

Just the better/bigger rear brakes are worth it.

TNT said:
I've exploded D35's on stock tires...:moon:

me too dude...i thought i already made that clear....

driving/wheeling style has a lot to do with it. Manual trannies are far easier to break axleshafts with, Autos tend to suck up all the tension in the drivetrain. skinny pedal has ALOT to do with it.

I AM NOT an advocate of the D35. I fuckin hate that axle...

ALL i was tellin the dude was if he has to ask what it takes to fit a waggy 44, then he is clueless. He might as well just get an 8.25 or wait for a bolt in axle (which he already found)

TNT said:
BTW a Grand Wagoneer rear D44 is 58.5" wide. :D

Yea, I realized that, do you happen to know the width on the front D44?

Last edited:
Ok I'll explain myself. The dana 35 axle is obviously a weak axle and even though I'm only going to run 32's at most I did plan on locking whatever axle I decided to go with. Since I wasn't going to waste my time with the dana 35 I thought about using an 8.25 with the 29 spline but the locker selection for that axle (at least the lunchbox style I want) were limited. I didnt think that I would find the elusive dana 44 out of the XJ that I have since found so i figured that was out. Then I found the waggy 44 and figured that if it wasnt to much past changing some shock mounts and perches then I would go with it in place of the 8.25. Thats why I was asking about the waggy rear end. Thanks for the answers guys.

jeepnuts311 said:
Yea, I realized that, do you happen to know the width on the front D44?

Late Grand Wagoneer axles are 60.75" wide. Stay away from the ones with the axle disconnect.

My '77 F-150 HP D44 is 65" wide and has 1/2" wall axle tubes. It can be narrowed to use Grand Wagoneer axle shafts.

Read this link

Jeffs narrowed HP D44 build at MadXJ

Back