• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Castor question... Newbie...

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Right-O. So I bought a jeep with the intention of doing all my own junk to it, lift included.
Now, I realize that my castor is off after raising it. Duh.
So - to restore the proper geometry, I basically need to lengthen the LCA. I think I can do this and get back into spec by fashioning some spacers to fit into the LCA frame mount pocket.
The tables I've seen say that at 3" you need 1/4" more LCA. So a 1/4" shim behind the control arm should put me back in spec - correct?
Just wanna be sure I'm right in my thinking before I go buying materials and all... Thanks folks!

How does it drive? For me castor is only a preference. I like as little as I can stand on the road to make it more nimble. 3 degrees. You may want the stock 6 or 7 if you drve a lot of hiways. I think Jeep purposly put extra castor in the XJ so it would drive a lot less touchy than the Wranglers they were selling next to it. But I think you are on trac for adjusting it correctly. The thing I had a hard time with is that I could not ever seen to get both sides exactly the same. Thats OK because the axel is ussually not perfect.

are you running stock LCAs or aftermarket?

reason I ask is because the RE LCAs that came with my 3.5" kit were already close to 1/4" longer than stock.
right now i'm at 7* Caster with those RE LCAs, which is 'stock' as already pointed out, without any shimming.

I'm running stock LCAs, will change them out of WJ LCAs eventually but they are same length.
I drive lots and lots of highway and mostly at over 80 MPH, so I'm looking to make this jeep as well-mannered as possible.

Just don't overlook the pinion angle issue that can be created when adjusting your caster, You will end up with nasty Vibes. I always start by getting my front pinion angle to around 1/2-1 degree then stick it on the alignment rack for a reading, then go from there.

Back