• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent help needed with my 242 T-Case

greggcarini

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a big problem with my "new" XJ 4.0... it's a 1990, limited, with 242 and AW4, front Dana 30 with Super30 axles and ARB locker, rear Dana 35 with Super35 and ARB locker. I've never rode it before all those improvements, but yesterday I went for a little test in offroad and when I inserted the 4lo, every 300 meters it came out and I were without front traction... this XJ is 4" lifted, without SYE.

Has everyone the same experience? What I've to do?

I'm a newby, writing from Italy with my poor English and so, please, write clearly...

Many thanks to all who'd like to help me,

Cheers,

Greg

Yes, that sounds like the transfer case linkage just needs a small adjustment.

does it make any strange noises ? grinding or bang when it loses power to the front?

DrMoab said:
Get rid of the 242.

Very common problem with them. Unless you want to rebuild it...look for a 231.

The 242 is fine but is more prone to letting a guy down, I've had my troubles with my 242, if left out of adjustment, it will pop out of 4wd and sometimes take teeth with it, I blame the broken welds on the center diff pinions on the same problem.

bcmaxx said:
I blame the broken welds on the center diff pinions on the same problem.

Who welded something to the pinion and what does that have to do with a transfer case problem?

To the original poster:

Be sure to check to make sure no coins have gotten caught in your shifter by pulling the cover plate off. This has been known to happen to many people.

Does this have a transfer case lowering kit?

Check again that the 4WD lever inside passenger compartment has enough travel to fully engage without hitting the floor.

You should still have 1/8" when lever is fully back.

thanks to all for your precious suggestion...

I'll on Friday doublecheck externally the travel of the lever and if there are something that hurt the floor.

I'll keep you posted,

;-)

Greg

goodburbon:
poor linkage adjustment can lead to damaged teeth,which will cause it to constantly come out of 4wd, see #16 here : http://www.drivetrain.com/242transfercasesillust.htm
The pinions on # 19 are spot welded on each end to keep them in place.
driveline shock caused by a slipping chain or 4wd popping in and out has a tendancy to crack these welds. I lent my gf my jeep on a snowy day so I could install snow tires on her 'rolla,well she didn't get it into 4x4 and phone me saying it wasn't moving and it was making a grinding noise, she took almost half the teeth of. since fixed
If I was in an area where full time wasn't needed eg. no snow 4 months of the year I too would opt for the 231 for function and availability of parts and upgrades.

Back