• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof flaps like a soft top?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I've noticed that the steel roof on my XJ flaps like a soft top, I have no headliner and the crossmembers inside sag a little bit. So what can I do to correct this. The only thing I have on the roof is a lightbar up front, no tires or safari racks.

my work van used to do the same thing from people climbing on the roof try taking a bottle jack with a piece of wood or whatever you can find the right length and proping the crossmembers back up

kennzz05 said:
my work van used to do the same thing from people climbing on the roof try taking a bottle jack with a piece of wood or whatever you can find the right length and proping the crossmembers back up
Indeed, my front crossmember has come "untarred" and my roof does the exact same thing. Actually at high speeds it will pop and scare the crap outta me, kinda like the same thing the doors will do, how you can "dent" them but then they pop right back out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix this but it's really hard to push the crossmember back up.

Mine used to do the same thing. When I had the liner out installing shoulder belts for the back seats I used marine silicone and filled the gap between the skin of the roof and the cross-braces. Once it set up, it stopped the roof from popping up and down. Good Luck

Woody

From the factory there is an expanding anti flutter compound that is put on the roof bows to prevent this. You could eaither use silicon to repair it, or even that expanding foam would probably work.

Back