• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My homemade Rockrails

Steve F

NAXJA Forum User
Made myself some rockrails over the past few days, they're at stage 1 at the moment as I still need to get the pipe bent up for the step and to extend them out to protect the doors, I dont have a bender so am waiting on a mate to get his back. I thought in the meantime I may as well fit them up and use them though. It'll make it easier to get the pipe right as well as I want to angle it up slightly.

Anyway, here's the specs and some pics (all in metric 'cause that's the way it is down here in Aus)

The main rail is 75x50x4mm the legs are 50x25x3mm and the pinch seam support is 25x6mm flat stock. It's attached to the frame with 2 bolts on each leg that go all the way through the frame with a plate on the back and two self drilling bolts. It's also attached to the pinch seam with 5 8mm bolts on each side. So a total of 13 points on each side. I've lifted the side of the jeep off the ground with no noticable deflection in the rails but when I put the pipe on for the step I might attach the main RHS to the flat stock at some more points.

I also angled the main rail so it was the same distance from the sill at the front and the rear so the flat stock for the pinch seam does not run parallel to the main rail.

Rails_2.jpg

Rails_4.jpg

Rails_3.jpg

So far I'm very happy with my $120AUD investment :)

Cheers
Steve

Added stage two to them today (Ended up buying a cheap bender). Need to let the paint dry and fit them up again tomorrow after work.

Tacked up the pipe while the rails were on the Jeep.
RockRails_Stage2_004.jpg

Painted and ready to go, the pipe is 3.2mm thick and the flatbar between the pipe and the main rail is 8mm thick.

RockRails_Stage2_015.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back