• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.89s & 35s- your experience with this combo please.

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
95 4.0, AW4, 242

Looking at a set of early bronco axles equiped with 5.89s. I think it would be killer offroad, but how would this perform on the highway?

That would suck on the highway. It could be done though, IF the axles are wide enough. Get a WMS"?

5.13's and 35's is a bit high for the highway IMO. I'm going 4.88's now because I didn't like the super high rev's.

Matt,
Yes it's a low pinion, but so are the waggy 44s. So what's the difference?

I ask because I can get these axles for $750- They include matching 5.89 gears, discs front and rear, chromo's w/ox u-joints in the front, warn hubs, and width is about 61" front, and 58" rear, apx.

T&T makes a truss kit for this bronco 44 that includes buckets and control arm mounts - $400. They will have a truss for the 9" soon to strengthen that housing; I don't think it's a very strong housing.
It does have the big bearing ends and 3rd member however.

Thanks for all the input.!

BTW, I run 6.50 gears w/37s in my '86 2.5 xj, ax-5, and it can do 70..... but I don't get there very often.

with the AW4 35's and 5.89 gears it looks like you would be doing a little over 2700 RPM's at 65mph so thats not un-usable IMO.

CameronB said:
I ask because I can get these axles for $750- They include matching 5.89 gears, discs front and rear, chromo's w/ox u-joints in the front, warn hubs, and width is about 61" front, and 58" rear, apx.
In that case, but the axles and regear them to 5.13. 5.89 just seems waaaay too high for an automatic equipped rig. If you want that kind of gearing, do a 4:1 or an Atlas, Stak etc. That way you get decent freeway manners and still a stupid low crawl ratio.

-----Matt-----

Lift it a few more inches, hack the fenders and throw on some 44's on that bitch and you'd be cruzin :smoker:

5.89 would be too much for interstate driving. Other wise your good.

I have 5.38 with 35" MTZ's and the AW4 and it gets down the highway but I don't drive it over 70mph (APROX 3k).
It is my daily driver and gets 16mpg on the road.

Also, you'll never get a speedo gear to correct your speedometer if that means anything to you.

Thanks for all the replies... that link for rpms etc was helpfull.

The axles in my 86 xj are custom ford 9s, and the front has 44 knuckles. I don't have a tach, but 70 is about as high as feels right w/the 6.50s, for any extended period of time.

It's on 37 maxxis creepies, which seem to be bit short for a 37.

Back