• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO swap?

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for a couple days now and have been reading mixed results. Here is the situation...

I have a 93 HO, AW4, 231 XJ with a good engine and bad floors. I just picked up a 88 RENIX, BA10, 231 with awesome floors and a bad engine.

The 88 has a rod knock, while the 93 runs good.

What would need to be done to put the 93HO in the 88 while still using the RENIX intake and exhaust manifolds? Do I need to swap injectors?

Can I use the 88's flywheel on the 93's crank?

Thanks

As long as the intake and exhaust manifolds match the ports on the HO head, you should be fine.

ravi

Really? Thanks...

They don't match, the HO has raised ports. There is a way to do it but you need...

Dunno, that is why I am asking.

I would think so??? Wait till 5-90 reads this, he is the expert on renix.

I just completed roughly the same swap just the reverse. We placed a 88 motor into my son's 93 the swap was fairly easy all I did was take the whole head/intake/exhaust off of the 93 motor and placed it on the 88 block. the only problem that I ran into was the input from the tranny since ours were both standards. There was no bearing or bushing that would match the crank to the input shaft. I had to get a bushing machined to fit the crank and shaft of the tranny. But the rest is fairly straight forward. Why don't you cut the floors out of the older one and weld them in to the 93?

They do not match, The high output has a slightly different exhaust porting. I had an 88 that i put the HO block into several years ago. I believe i used the renix intake and the HO header. The other problem i ran into was the flange was thicker on the newer headers so the renix intake bolts had to have a washer shimmed under the bolt to get it to torque down. It seemed to work but the washers had to be ground because they won't go on in whole form if that makes sense. they wound up being half washers.

we later swapped that engine into a buddies cj7 and it is still running so i gues it is reliable setup.

i would swap the upp haf of the motor over if i had to do it again. put the older valve body on the newer block. i do believe they are compatible.

What tranny are you running in the 93? I am hoping that the HO will drop in without to much headache.

Why won't I cut the floors out? I don't have a welder and I HATE rust. If the floors are that bad then the rest of the Jeep is going to fall apart around me.

Plus why would I cut up a perfectly food Jeep to fix a POS?

you will need an 87-90 flexplate if you are swapping in the aw4. if your using the ba10, you will need the flywheel from the 88.

you may need to also use the distributor from the 88.

i believe there will also be no spot for the knock sensor on the 93 block.

I think you should just use the 93 block and the renix head

I do not want to pull the the head. The 4.0 Head is a PIA to do in your backyard by yourself (HEAVY). Not gonna, happen I like my back too much..

Where is the knock sensor tapped on the Renix block?

might be easier just getting the renix motor rebuilt instead mix matching parts just to make the ho motor work. N e ways the ho motor is only 10hp more then the renix so no big increase. And or sell the 93 ho and take out the engine in the renix and make it a stroker:dunno:

x2 on using the renix head along with the intake and exhaust.

the head is not that heavy.

what tranny and transfercase combo r u going to use, the 88 5sp/231 or the 93 auto/231? the tranny and transfercase combos need to be use together as there is a spline count difference, unless you swap out the mainshaft of the transfercase.

you will need a new pilot bearing depending on what combo you use.

the ba10 also uses an internal slave/throwout so make sure its in good shape.

You should be able to use the RENIX flywheel on the HO crank without issues. Swap the engine, change the flywheel, and change the sensors. You will have to drill and tap the boss on the later block to retain the knock sensor - that hole is usually not drilled (although the boss is still present.)

Adaptation of the throttle body would be required, if you want to retain the RENIX TB on the HO intake.

You could also use the HO short block under the RENIX head - they swap readily.

It's possible to swap heads lonehanded - but if you're planning to swap engines, it's fairly safe to assume you have an engine crane to hand, so why not use that? I know it's possible to R/R the head without mechanical assistance - I've done it (and it can be done without injury. I tore my erectors back in 1995 or so, and I was able to do it without a twitch. Just exercise due care.)

The BA-10 and AX-15 use the same clutch friction setup, just different connections on the T/O bearing (you can swap to the internal AX-15 and just use the BA-10 clutch kit) and you may have to swap pilot bearings. When I did my swap, the 1990 AX-15 had the same size pilot as my BA-10. Should the AX pilot be larger, you'll want a 1973 or so pilot bushing/bearing from a CJ w/304 & 3-speed manual, as I recall.

Here's a good start to finding your answers:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1908259

When I did the swap from a '96 into a '89 I just used the HO manifolds and adapted the TPS. They both had aw4's so I didn't have any flexplate issues. You will need to use the old flywheel so the CPS works correctly. I also used the newer injectors and it ran fine.

After doing acouple of head swaps I find it really easy to grap 6 extra long bolts that fit in where the head bolts go in. Take these bolts and cut the heads of then screw them into the block and use them as a guide when lowering the head down so you don't screw up the gasket. Then everything lines up nice and easy.Just a thought. The trannies that I was dealing with I think were a ax15 and the same one you have(std). The difference between the two was the diameter of the input shaft. Hope this helps

kunaji said:
Here's a good start to finding your answers:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1908259
QUOTE]

Did you just tell me to search?

Or did you post the wrong link?

If you did tell me to search, I did! There is a shit pile of misinformation out there on this swap. Some say you can use the RENIX manifolds buy using some other year intake/exhaust gasket. Then other posts say you can't. They say you gotta make a adapter for the TB to work on HO intake, use the HO injectors, use the RENIX injectors. Seems like everyone has had some kind of luck doing it all kinds of different ways.

This ain't my first rodeo.

Back