• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I get away w/o sye, not normal setup

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have the 14b getting ready for install. The 14b has 9" of clearance with 31" (for now till I get the 35's). The D35C has 9" of clearance.

Here is the dilemma....

The 14b is much thicker in tube and the new spring perch is big (ruffstuff perch) all-in-all it gains 2 full inches of lift hieght measured at the perches.

I have set up a jig that I can set the pinion angle to a steeper angle to match up better before any SYE stuff. I will be using the front shaft off another XJ.

With the pinion angle set so as to not be as extreme as it would be in a stock D35C with 5" of lift, also considering the new pinion heigth with the 14b.

Could I drive the thing around safely as a DD while I wait for the SYE kit?
I am getting the RE kit and changing it to what is done on GoJeep's page with the 1310 yoke.

I already have Adj LCA's and will get a 2" coil spacer for my front coils.

are you talking about rotating the pinion up???
How much total lift do you have right now?From what I gather you have about 5"?At that height a sye and double cardan is pretty much mandatory.....

as you probably already know,you want the pinion to be running parallel to the t-case output with a factory style shaft(that you have on there now).Pointing the pinion up will make things worse...
I would wait to adjust pinion angle untill you get the sye and double cardan shaft.Then you would rotate the pinion up to point at the t-case output.

in your sig it says you have a d-44....why would you change it?It would have no problems holding up to 35's

Last edited:
does that include the use of the front shaft with the dbl cardon thing? Iknow you mentioned with the stock DS, I was hoping to just use a front.

I feel so dumb not expecting this amout of up lift.... ugh. Oh well not installed yet so no problems of a big nature.:doh:

once I am done with other mods, 37/38s will be mounted.
I am just doing functional sections at time and building once. End result will be a boatsided rockcrawler capable of mild competition.

dude i have a 88 xj with 6 inches of liftand 33 inch tired with a dana 44 rear and i rotated my pinion up and run the front drive shaft with no sye and wheel it hard and havent had a problem and i drive mine about 400 miles a month on the hwy and no vibes thats how mine is set up hope that helps you out there good luck

outlander said:
are you talking about rotating the pinion up???
How much total lift do you have right now?From what I gather you have about 5"?At that height a sye and double cardan is pretty much mandatory.....

as you probably already know,you want the pinion to be running parallel to the t-case output with a factory style shaft(that you have on there now).Pointing the pinion up will make things worse...
I would wait to adjust pinion angle untill you get the sye and double cardan shaft.Then you would rotate the pinion up to point at the t-case output.

in your sig it says you have a d-44....why would you change it?It would have no problems holding up to 35's

Oh yeah forgot, it currently rides on a 3" lift. the 14b setup creats 2" more at the perch equating to a 5" total lift.

rckddy said:
dude i have a 88 xj with 6 inches of liftand 33 inch tired with a dana 44 rear and i rotated my pinion up and run the front drive shaft with no sye and wheel it hard and havent had a problem and i drive mine about 400 miles a month on the hwy and no vibes thats how mine is set up hope that helps you out there good luck

Can you send a photo. something with a close up of the jonts themselves.
If I can get away with it, the drive I do is to school and back no more than 20 miles round trip, I want to do they SYE slow and make sure it gets built right with no leaking issues. I have a seperate HDNP242 that I want to do it to, just need to wait on parts/money

CanMan said:
You will need a 1310/1350 combo joint, as the yoke on the 14b is a 1350.

Thanks for the info. I didnt think about that.
So much incomplete knowledge on the 14b conversion. I should have a full write up done by Monday with all part numbers and costs. This thing has massive clearance for a 3/4ton axle.
My welder shop is thinking of mass producing the shaved 14b if anyone wants one. Fort Worth area

outlander said:
do you have a stock shaft in there now?....(has one u-joint at the t-case end and another at the pinion end...two total)

Currently, yes. But if I stuff the 14b I would be using a front type. I just assumed the stock rear DS wouldnt fit right and heard of everyone using the fronts.

yes the stock shaft wont work for you....you need the double cardan front shaft.rckddy has a double cardan shaft without sye thats how he's running at 6".You can get a double cardan slip yoke that slides into the stock t-case output that will allow you to run a double cardan shaft(I suspect this is what rckddy is running)but for the price of the yoke itself you could almost have a hack and tap sye...
.....I am running a front shaft in the rear of my 89 with sye.....its a good,cheap mod.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I am so picky about what I do at time of install and like to know what others have done and the wear on those parts.

more and more, the SYE kit is looking like the buy instead of the yoke mod.
Hmmm. Crud is getting so expensive for used to be a fairly cheap mod.

the fact that you can limp home on the front shaft without loosing t-case fluid after you remove the broken rear shaft alone is worth the extra cash for a sye.....

outlander said:
the fact that you can limp home on the front shaft without loosing t-case fluid after you remove the broken rear shaft alone is worth the extra cash for a sye.....

X2. And I was pulling a pop up tent trailer.

100_4533.jpg

Back