• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warping brake drums...

ExJayRob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Classic with a 4.5in RE lift and 32's. Here lately, I have been having a problem, reoccuring at least 4 times, where my brake drums will warp (center flange of drum) and cause the brakes to surge/lock up in wet weather. Seems like the only thing I have been able to do is just go and buy another brake drum and throw it on there until it starts to do it again. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Stock rear axle, CV driveshaft (if that really matters) Thanks...

What brake drums are you using?

I have a ford truck with drum brakes all the way around - it has problems like that if I run cheap drums, but if I buy good raybestos or bendix drums I don't have any problems...

My 99 sport does the same thing and it has the facotry drums. What I've noticed is that it will only lock up when it's raining really easy if the Jeep is cold....so what I do is go about 100 yards with my foot on the gas and the brake just barely applied, this way it heats up just enough to cause it not to lock up as easily. Not the greatest thing in the world, but it beats having to buy new drums...at least until the shoes need replaced!

I had a guy at a shop up the street look at it on the lathe at slow speed, and you could see how it was warped considerably. I didnt know if this is a sign that I have a bent axle in the rear or what. It is very annoying and a little dangerous, because sometimes it will just lock up even when it nice and warm. I am going to start a new thread about rear disc and see what the turn out is...

Back