• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much should i backspace?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
with 33x12.50 tsl's on 15x10 rims, probably getting some black cragar steelies cause their inexpensive, but not sure on what backspacing i'd need to clear my control arms and such

I'd go with 15"x8" wheels, with 3.75" backspacing. My 35"x12.5"x15" tires run well on these with only slight rub at full steering lock.

EDIT: :D what Phil said.

Both. Don't need it for a 12.5" tire, a 8" wheel retains the bead better. Plus, the wheel width of a 10" just makes rubbing problems worse.

Check your local codes. According to the RCW (Washington state) they aren't technically illegal, and a wheeling buddy of mine just went through e-mailing the RCW people and they confirmed it for him. Your laws may vary.

I have always wondered why bead locks are not DOT approved? Can anyone shed some light? Keeping a blown tire on the rim seems safer to me...

I believe the issue of beadlock legality comes from the fact that if you're a moron and don't periodically tighten or check the bolts and they come loose, you can lose a bead at highway speed, killing yourself and potentially others.

fubar XJ said:
I believe the issue of beadlock legality comes from the fact that if you're a moron and don't periodically tighten or check the bolts and they come loose, you can lose a bead at highway speed, killing yourself and potentially others.

Never thought about it in that way. There are those people though...

Back