• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel

skunkman

NAXJA Forum User
I've blown the 4.0 in my 87 MJ.

http://www.4x4labs.com/diesel.html

Has come up with a conversion kit to bolt up a Benz Diesel to the Chevy tranny.

"Configuration for Chevy transmissions:

Mercedes-Benz OM-617
3 liter 5 cylinder turbo diesel
* 4x4 Labs bell housing transition plate
* 4x4 Labs pilot bushing
* 4x4 Labs flywheel spacer
* modified 168-tooth Chevy flywheel
* Chevy bell housing (SM420, SM465, NV4500)
* Chevy starter
* Chevy 11" clutch
* Chevy pressure plate
* Chevy transmission (SM420, SM465, NV4500)

Conversion packages for Chevy automatics coming soon."

I know the earlier XJ's had a 2.8 Chevy, I assume they came with a Chevy tranny.

What I don't even know is if the 5 speed tranny I have is 'Chevy' and able to have the diesel mounted.

I'm not totally sure this would be worth the $ involved. I love the idea of the diesel's longivity but I'm not so certain that the engine would be a step up...

Here is another guy with a similar goal.

http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/SuperDawg-83-J10-stepside/DawgYear2004/the-question.txt

"Here's the basic HP/torque specs to show the original Jeep engine,
the 4.0L Jeep planned engine, and the stock '83 300D /'87 300D for comparisons:

ORIGINAL engine: 83-4.2L - 115 hp@3,200 -210 ftlb @1800
PLANNED 4.0L: 96-4.0L - 185 hp@4,600 -220 ftlb @2400
the latest idea: 83-3.0LTD- 125 hp@4,350 -170 ftlb @2400 ( stock turbo)

THE goal of this engine swap is NOT performance, but usability and economy.
Y'all have seen the fuel prices. I love driving my J10 and enjoy the economy of Diesel... If I can blend a Mercedes Diesel with my Jeep J10 I'll be a happy
camper... won't win any drag races, but with 40 gallons of fuel capacity the
Jeep will go a LOT further then my bladder... ;)

HERE's THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OLDER TURBO DIESELS and the newer ones: year model cyl engine: bore/stroke hp torque

'83 300D: 5 3.0L TD 3.58x3.64 in 120 hp@4,350 -170 ftlb @2400
'87 300D: 6 3.0L TD 3.43x3.31 in 143 hp@4,600 -195 ftlb @2400
'91 300D: 5 2.5L TD 3.43x3.31 in 121 hp@4,600 -165 ftlb @2400"

My original goal was Diesel, with more torque... but it looks like it would be better just going back with the 4.0 as far as torque is concerned. And I dont know the weight of the two engines so I'm not sure if the diesel would be an upgrade or not as weight is bad. I just saw the conversion kit and that put thoughts in my head.

For what it's worth my MJ is 2wd.

I guess at this point I've pretty much answered my question as to whether or not this would be a good swap. So, I guess I'm just posting what I've found out.

I know you guys aren't short of opinions, what is yours?

Last edited:
I have a Dodge Cummins and used to have a '82 300SD.
You dont want that Merc engine in your Jeep.
While they will run for 500,000, and get 20+mpg, they are dogs. The turbo model has awful turbo lag, the non-turbo can get out of its own way and they both smoke like a frieght train. On the freeway, it had decent power (the turbo is spooled up), but from a stopsign, it was floored to 25mph or so.
Mine ran great on Chinese resteraunt oil filtered and poured directly into the tank.

If youi want to go diesel, try a Cummins 4bt from a Frito Lay truck.

The early XJ's came with 2.8 GM and 2.5 AMC engines....the bellhousing bolt pattern is "small pattern GM" which means they are the same general bolt pattern as the 60 degree v-6 engines and a variety of 4 cylinder engines and are very similar to the caddy "star" engines...there are major variants within the family...but that is a general overview.

They ARE NOT the same as the GM V-8 and 4.3 V-6 engines...which are 90 degree engines....also the trannies (both auto and manual) were light duty..suitable for the low hp output of the small engines...

Well i bet the dream setup would be a KD FTV from toyota HILUX I dont think you get those in the USDM but here we get the 2.5 L version 120 hp 325 NM
the 3.0l version 1kd ftv is a 170 hp 343Nm @1400-3400 rpm

And the best part is they come bolted to A340 tranny which are completely identical to the AW4 (bellhousing, ratios, etc)

just get a renault 2.1 powered cherokee and swap the parts in. we get 30mpg with ours in the MJ

somebody just needs to find a way to transplant a 5.9l cummins 12valve or 24valve in a jeep. Then bully dog computer, bigger injecters, 5inch exhaust and intake and that jeep would be unstoppable off road. The initial torque it would be hell of a rock crawler or for anything. I couldnt imagine seeing and xj dumping the black smoke down the road and hearing the turbo spool up!:thumbup:

SnagglePuss said:
I have a Dodge Cummins and used to have a '82 300SD.
You dont want that Merc engine in your Jeep.
While they will run for 500,000, and get 20+mpg, they are dogs. The turbo model has awful turbo lag, the non-turbo can get out of its own way and they both smoke like a frieght train. On the freeway, it had decent power (the turbo is spooled up), but from a stopsign, it was floored to 25mph or so.
Mine ran great on Chinese resteraunt oil filtered and poured directly into the tank.

If youi want to go diesel, try a Cummins 4bt from a Frito Lay truck.

X2

4bta MJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyS9A3jbwLM&feature=related
Writeup on same MJ
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585

This is what I am going to do.:D This is an awesome engine.

projectTK said:
somebody just needs to find a way to transplant a 5.9l cummins 12valve or 24valve in a jeep. Then bully dog computer, bigger injecters, 5inch exhaust and intake and that jeep would be unstoppable off road. The initial torque it would be hell of a rock crawler or for anything. I couldnt imagine seeing and xj dumping the black smoke down the road and hearing the turbo spool up!:thumbup:
A 12 valve Cummins would be bad @ss. They can make 400hp/800ftlb for less than $500 of upgrades, but it is super long and weighs 1200lbs(!) wet.

4bt's can get 25+mpg and are not as long.

Nice, i never saw his video yet, and i think he said the minimum lift to fit the 4bt is 4.5", i just need to make one of the spare 4bts at where i work disappear and im set lol

supposed to have 2-3 as spares since they swaped some out for cats on some of the machines, but their still in wisconsin, i think, so i wont see em for awhile

I am looking at fitting a V6 diesel that is turboed and intercooled from a 2005 on WH Grand Cherokee ( We get these in Oz ) into my 1960 Willys pickup. It is rated at 165 kW and 510 Nm of torque stock but chipping it brings it up to 195 kW and higher torque. I hope to pickup a rolled WH and use the whole wiring loom and axles and suspension and the rest of the drivetrain. Use the front seats etc and anything else I can scavenge from it. If I like it I lot I will think about adding the drivetrain to my XJ as well instead of going to a stroker when my 6 wears out.
Here is a couple of shots of the Willys I just bought.

Cant wait to bring it home but have to build my workshop first to put it in.

Thanks for the conversion. We dont work in imperial on this side of the pond. Also found that the torque went up to 580 Nm after chipping.
Also thanks Mike for the comments.

Last edited:
Don't know about down in Oz but here in the states, the Willys trucks have one piece windshields in 1960. Not to nit pick,just pointing it out. I used to have a 1954 pickup, I love those old things.

onetallmj said:
Don't know about down in Oz but here in the states, the Willys trucks have one piece windshields in 1960. Not to nit pick,just pointing it out. I used to have a 1954 pickup, I love those old things.

I dont know enough about them yet so any advice you can give me on it would be great. It was advertised as a 1955 but the rego sticker said 1960? Someone told me it couldn't be a 1955 as the window was not that large then but thought I have seen pictures since that do? I dont have it home yet either and it is 3 hours away so just cant look at the chassis number if it has one which is supposed to be need the front shock tower?

Back