• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longevity of bastards

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
searched on combos for bastard packs, could the guys who run bastard packs let us know if they eventially sag out, how long have u been running them, what kind of wheeling do u do. thanks.

Mine have started to sag reciently(few months ago) since I did it about a year and a half ago. I added 1 XJ main and 1 XJ second leaf to a stock XJ pack. Wheel in the NW, lots of hills, rocks, ruts, snow, ect.

2.5 years so far...

I went DAKPAK I have had some setteling an not real sagging. Although my jeep only sees 1500 miles per year and 5-6 trips a year.

CanMan said:
Mine have started to sag reciently(few months ago) since I did it about a year and a half ago. I added 1 XJ main and 1 XJ second leaf to a stock XJ pack. Wheel in the NW, lots of hills, rocks, ruts, snow, ect.

How much sag are we talking about?

Mine have been on for a couple months and have settled maybe 1/4"- 1/2" max, which I consider to be "break in settle". Exact same setup as yours but with 3/4" lift shackles.

I'm curious because my rear is about 3/8" to 1/2" high still and I am not sure whether to add another isolator in front or not. Already have it, just need to take the hour or two and do it. If they are going to sag any more, I'll just leave it alone.

Nine Mile said:
I'm curious because my rear is about 3/8" to 1/2" high still and I am not sure whether to add another isolator in front or not. Already have it, just need to take the hour or two and do it. If they are going to sag any more, I'll just leave it alone.

If it's sagging 3/8 or 1/2" then just move it a few feet in the drive way. The difference in surface can easily make the suspension vary more than that.

loke said:
If it's sagging 3/8 or 1/2" then just move it a few feet in the drive way. The difference in surface can easily make the suspension vary more than that.

Yup it does...but the difference I stated was the average difference.

It's definitely nose down. 3/8" more from an isolator would be perfect....but not if the leaves are going to sag any more.

You probably think I'm nuts but I am VERY particular about Jeeps being level in their lifts....

Keep it as it is. When you load a bunch o' crap in the back you won't blind oncoming drivers with poorly aimed headlights.

"Longevity of Bastards"...I just turned 54 and I'm still kickin'....Oh crap...this is about bastard spring packs, not old bastards.....nevermind...:confused1

I did the S-10 2&3rd leaves under the stock XJ main last summer, and both packs are now flat. (again) I run alot of woods/sidehill/ DD mileage, probably around 20-25,000 miles a year, and the XJ has been known to give a TJ a run for its' money when flexing out the leafs. I still have sick flex, but the tail is low. I am going to try throwing the main spring from the S-10 under the XJ main, and see what I get. Other than the sag, I love the ride. Keep in mind, I am out in the woods just about EVERY weekend, also.:D

Nine Mile said:
How much sag are we talking about?

Mine have been on for a couple months and have settled maybe 1/4"- 1/2" max, which I consider to be "break in settle". Exact same setup as yours but with 3/4" lift shackles.

It was about 5", now they are around 3.5-4". The leafs looks like an S.

Although I did start off with 2 high mileage(200k+) packs, and has been wheeled alot.

Had mine for 2 years now. I used my main leaf with a Comanche pack. I actually wish it would sag. Love the pack, but my front has sagged and my rear is still the same hight I put them in as. I need to go longer coils in front to even it out. I wasn't even to begin with though, I expected to sag a bit, but nothing. Still ride nice, and even better when loaded down for the trail.

CanMan said:
It was about 5", now they are around 3.5-4". The leafs looks like an S.

Although I did start off with 2 high mileage(200k+) packs, and has been wheeled alot.

Thanks....it really sounds like I should just leave it alone. I'm tired of feeling like I'm driving down a hill when on flat ground though....

Back