• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent Axle housing? help???

BaronVonRoot

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I picked up a Dana 44 axle from creigs list, went thru it putting a ARB, 33 spline Superior Axles, etc... went out on first trail doing some good 4x4n takeing it easy no lead foot, nothing happend to justify me Bending a axle and twisting the splines... so did I get a lemon? or do I have a bent housing? no signs of dammage looks good but how do I tell for sure? want to rule it out before I do this again! who makes good Axles?????
:doh:

superiors are supposed to be pretty good. Alloy usa's are very good. Those are the two more common in the xj circles.

BaronVonRoot said:
Ok I picked up a Dana 44 axle from creigs list, went thru it putting a ARB, 33 spline Superior Axles, etc... went out on first trail doing some good 4x4n takeing it easy no lead foot, nothing happend to justify me Bending a axle and twisting the splines... so did I get a lemon? or do I have a bent housing? no signs of dammage looks good but how do I tell for sure? want to rule it out before I do this again! who makes good Axles?????
:doh:
rear or front? In either case twisted axle splines are not an indication of bent housing. What most consider as a bent housing is actually the plug welds breaking and the tubes walking out. Are you leaking oil from where the tubes go into the center section?

no no leaks, no signs of bent, cracks, welds look good... this is a rear axle, and I have a wasted shaft, after 1 trail and only like 800 miles maybe on the shafts, mostly short trips breakin in the gears, I am not hard on the gas, i crawl... so just trying to rule out anything i might have missed, I am thinking I got a bad shaft sent to me... just looking at all posibilities...

Are you sure the axles were placed in the proper side.Pass side is 3/4" longer.
Wayne

I don't think twisted splines are that uncommon, on a rear axle. Especially with a locker. It just takes a little wheel spin, then a solid lock-up---like dropping the spinning tire onto a rock. The bigger the tires and lower the gear ratio, the more instantaneous torque applied to that one axle.
I've experienced it with my locked D44 rear and stock axles, with my old 4.0, and I can guarantee you that I'm not aggressive in the rocks.
I've also experienced twisted splines with my old Pontiac GTO:D
Not sure how much abuse the Superior axles are supposed to take; might want to contact them.

xjbubba said:
I've also experienced twisted splines with my old Pontiac GTO:D

Not too hard to do on a 28-spline 8.5". :D

Funny thing is, I just ordered, not 5 minutes ago, a replacement axle shaft from Superior for the 1968 GTO rear axle that my friend and I have in the back of a Monte Carlo. :gag: Although this one walked out of the wheel bearing retaining collar and caused the axle to get bent while it was leaving the vehicle...

Launching my 4000lb '68 GTO with its balanced, blue printed, etc. 400+ CI engine revved to 2400RPM severely tested the rear axles. I loved that car.

yes there there in on the correct sides the longer one wont go in the shorter side,

33" tires 4:88s

2 calls into superior and no return call as of yet, to see what they say......
i just orderd some alloy axle 33 spline axles wanted backups anyway...
all i can say is crap!!! :flamemad:

maybe you just got lemons. ive got stock 31 sp. in my 8.8, and ive beat on it pretty hard with 35s and never had a problem with any of it. 33 splines should be plenty sturdy for 33s

thats what I am thinking, since i did nothing on the trail... the only 1 trail these 4 month old shafts have been on since installed....

Back