• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do low mileage factory XJs ride nicely?

Jip

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 2 door 4x4 has the factory suspension to the best of my knowledge. Its currently racking up on the 186K mile mark. I think I need to replace the shocks for sure, and the rear leafs (they're flat...sagging rear end). The front coils I'm not sure of their condition.

The thing rides rough. I want a comfortable ride...if I can get one. It doesn't need to ride like a Cadillac, but like a newer XJ.

Should I buy all new stuff, coils, leafs, shocks factory new? New bushings front and rear?.....?

I thought about the factory 'Up Country' part numbers to get a tad bit of lift, but I'm not sure.

This XJ is a daily driver, with dirt road riding on the side. Nothing 'off-road' really.

What you NAXJA do?

my 2000 4 dr with 24,xxxx didnt ride all that well to start with. I dont know if they made an xj with a nice ride, my in-laws 04 grand rides very nice though. Maybe could swap coils in front? IDK. Just a thought.

The older XJ's are true trucks and ride like one.
If you want a soft soccer mom ride get a SUV.
All the suspension kits are to enhance traction and off road performance, I don't think any will give you a soft ride.

the only kit i can think of that claims comforts is the old man emu kit... i think it is also a partial lift kit at like 1 or 1.5 inches

Well, I've got the OME HD kit and it does ride and handle better than stock but will give you about 3" in the back and 2" in the front. But really a smooth riding/off-road worthy and durable vehicle is really not a possibility. Most people I know that aren't really into the "Jeep thing" that owned XJ's and sold them, was because of poor ride and lack of space.

I like the way that XJ's ride, it keeps me awake at the wheel and in touch with the road!

And I like the fact that I can park it anywhere.

Don't think the leafs are gone because they seem flat. Measure from the center of the rear wheel to bottom of the fender flare....rear should be 17" and front 17.5"

dizzymac said:
Don't think the leafs are gone because they seem flat. Measure from the center of the rear wheel to bottom of the fender flare....rear should be 17" and front 17.5"

Where did you get these from? The FSM says there are no ride height specs available. I came across something once after googling around but lost the link.

BTW, My 88 measures out at these numbers.

generically speaking, less arch, smoother ride, more arch stiffer spring rate, harsher ride, more leaves + less arch, more roadworthy ride, higher arch + less leaves, stiffer ride.... GENERICALLY SPEAKING. WJ's ride smoother with coils all around. more suv than truck, xj's ride like a truck with solid axles, which they are. get better shocks, yours probably do nothing now, or very little, anything would be better... speaking of ride quality, tire pressure is huge... try 28-32 up front and 25-30 rear.... YMMV. i notice that when the rear started to sag on mine, it rode worse and worse.... rebuilt my spring packs and 10x better, still stiff. a rose is rose by any other name.... apply where neccesary.

Back