• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help on what it is worth?

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
i have a tough situation. i have an 88' wagoneer with a 4.0 and i just put on a rusty's 3inch lift and 31's this spring. i have recently replaced alot of other parts as well, and my piston rings are wore out so bad it gummed up my engine and stalls out so bad i cannot drive it. my friend that works on cars told me i needed a new engine. is it worth it to put a new one in, or should i try to sell it and move on? any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Without more info on the rig, pics, etc, its impossible for *US* to say that it is or is not worth putting another motor into it. Do *you* think it is?

Its not hard nor expensive to find a 4.0 with less than 200k on it and swap it in. Its a hard day or easy weekend job.

well i would want to put a new motor in it so i know that the motor will last for me. the reason why i ask is i have found a 91 cherokee with a new motor, tranny, transfer case, and axles all under 35k for 3k.

bigboyslimjimbo said:
well i would want to put a new motor in it so i know that the motor will last for me. the reason why i ask is i have found a 91 cherokee with a new motor, tranny, transfer case, and axles all under 35k for 3k.
DO IT!!!!!!!!

bigboyslimjimbo said:

Thats not a bad deal. Not the best I've seen, but not bad. Grab that and move your lift over, if you have the cash available.

That said, 3k would pay for a new motor, gears and lockers..

Big detail left out. ;)

Whats it got for axles and gears?

What lift? a "6.5 inch lift" may be more trouble than upgrade, depending how its done. Over about 4" you can't really screw around anymore, and over 5.5" you've gotta do it right or its dangerous.

good question so i asked and he said he has a dana 30 up front and 35 in the rear. probably not good huh? he is also runnin stock 3.73's. if i downgraded the tires to 33's would it be aight?

yeah. What kind of lift does it have? A kit of something cobbled together? What kit?

Sounds like less of a deal already. ;)

email this posting to a friend atlanta craigslist > cars & trucks
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Lifted Jeep Cherokee 35" tires - $3500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-12-28, 3:19PM EST

No Trades

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 V6
* Under 35k on entire Drive train ( axles, motor, tranny, transfer case, drive shafts, u joints.)

*6.5 Lift with 35" tires Detroit rear lockers

* Painted around 2 years ago

* Nice rockford fosgate head unit will play any disk ( mp3, cd, dvd) Boston acoustic component up front and Momo components in back, powered by 4x900 amp

*CB radio with PA speaker ( something is wrong with the PA maybe just a lose wire)

*JKS quicker disconnects , and it has ranch rs9000 9 way adjustable shocks

*aux cooling fan is on a switch, 160 degree thermostat, custom 3 row brass/copper radiator. high flow hesco racing water pump, full exhaust, no cat, just one glass pack and a 2 chamber flow master. mopar header.

*short arm 4 link in front, leafs out back, shimmed 4.5 degrees, no blocks, all control arms are tubular and ONLY grade 8 bolts were used! stainless brake lines all around.

~~~~~~~not so good~~~~~~~~~
*Needs tires
*has a cracked flexplate ( dones't hurt the way it drives at all, just ticks and annoying. Possibly will be fixed before sell.)

I daily drive this everyday, title in hand. I'm selling this really cheap.
Price is negotiable but don't be stupid haha, wanting a down payment of a new vechile.

This item has been posted by-owner.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 521771307

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2007 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

It sounds like you'd be buying a $3,000 set of tires with a good engine between them - because nothing else you are listing off is worth its weight in mud.

You should put your money into the rig you have. Talk to local shops, you should be able to rebuild your 4.0 for $1200 to $1800, and spend the rest on gears, a good rear axle, good shocks, and taking your girl out for a nice dinner.

thanx man i truly appreciate your input it helps. i definatly know now that i should fix up what i got. also a good friend of mine used to work at a shop for years and recently switched careers so he does work on the side. he told me he would put one in for me for $500 bucks is that pretty good?

Back