• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help! AW4 Fluid change issue on 96!

flyeryan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to change the tranny fluid and filter on my '96. I've got the pan dropped (kind of), and am running into an issue. I cannot get the pan further than about 1 or 2 inches from the bottom of the tranny because it hits on the exhaust. I've removed the two nuts from the exhaust manifold, but I can't bend the tube out of the way far enough to get the pan down. I don't think dropping the cross member would help anything, would it? If I could just get the pan down far enough to scrape off the old gasket and change the filter, I'd be happy. I've already removed the bolt that holds the dipstick to the bellhousing, so that's free.

Any help? Thank you!

You are going to have to loosen the bolts at the manifold, where the ball/socket joint is!! I had to do this to mine and even after loosening to the point of complete removal I still had to shimmy the damn thing out. When you go to reinstall you WILL need a good sealer to hold the gasket as you shimmy it back on. NAXJA

flyeryan said:
I'm trying to change the tranny fluid and filter on my '96. I've got the pan dropped (kind of), and am running into an issue.Any help? Thank you!

Did you not read this? It is his tranny pan and the exaust DOES get in the way! Had this very same issue on my 98!

I always pull the crossmember, then you can go back and down at the same time. I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the pan gasket on before I go back up with it. I tow hard with my XJ's so mine get changed at least once a year sometimes every six months. Not a job I like to do but you will get the hang of it after a couple of times.

I did read it and all I can say is that the exhaust was not in the least in the way of removing the tranny pan. I separated the fill tube at the joint -- perhaps this makes it easier to move around. This was for my '93, I can't speak for other years or setups.

Be careful tightening the pan screws, as the aluminum threads strip very easily. btdt. I think the spec was very low, like 15 inch-lbs.

lawsoncl said:
Be careful tightening the pan screws, as the aluminum threads strip very easily. btdt. I think the spec was very low, like 15 inch-lbs.

X2 and use "cross torque" to bring the pan tight evenly

I have the same problem with my 96. Heres my solution, bolt eveything back up and ratchet strap the exhaust crossover tube to the front axle. You only need to pull it forward less than an inch. When you're done, remove the strap and itll go back where it was.
Let us know when you get to the part about removing the dipstick tube.

Ray H said:
Let us know when you get to the part about removing the dipstick tube.
My solution to this is to remove the hold down bolt from the bell housing and wrap a piece of rope around the tube at the bracket then with one hand on the top of the tube and one on the rope, pull up quickly! Try not to give yourself a bloody lip or black eye! I pull the tube first before I even slide under the Jeep.

Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna try the ratchet strap method to see if that will move the exhaust far enough. Jacking up the rear of the transmission helps quite a bit too. We'll see how it goes in the morning.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but when I did mine, I was on ramps....maybe the suspension flex makes the extra room...

(dropped the pan to r/r the filter)

Nine Mile said:
Why are you guys even bothering to remove the pan?

To clean the filter or replace it. I also like to look at the magnets in the pan and see if anything is collecting on them(I have 2 in there on all of mine) thats a good indicater of a issue with the tranny or the torque converter.

I always replace the filter once a year, its only a $16 for a new filter and gasket from Advance Auto. Cheap insurance!

Like I said I tow hard with my XJ's

xjtrailrider said:
To clean the filter or replace it. I also like to look at the magnets in the pan and see if anything is collecting on them(I have 2 in there on all of mine) thats a good indicater of a issue with the tranny or the torque converter.

I always replace the filter once a year, its only a $16 for a new filter and gasket from Advance Auto. Cheap insurance!

Like I said I tow hard with my XJ's

Do you ever find anything significant in there?

Ive dropped the pan a couple times just to check the magnet and the bottom of the pan. My XJ pan and magnet has always been clean but the pan in our TJ has had black gunk, probably band material, in the pan plus it has a real filter that needs to be replaced. I know the AW4 doesnt have a real filter but I see no harm in dropping the pan every so often just to take a look at things.

Nine Mile said:
Do you ever find anything significant in there?

Not yet and I hope I don't! The AW4 is one stout tranny that will take some abuse as long as it does not get too hot. I picked up a couple of spare trannies a while back just to have but I don't think I'm ever gonna need them.

I run a Hayden 30,000 GVW cooler in all 4 of mine and the trail rig and my DD both have B&M tranny temp gauges.

well, I'm finally done. I had to drop the crossmember, that's probably the easiest way to do it. However, if I ever have to do this again, I'm just going to bring it to the transmission place and cough up the hundred bucks. It was a terrible job, and it took two days and a whole lot of exertion since I din't have a lift or the exact knowledge, not to mention a very cold garage. The screen was really clean, but I'm concerned I knocked stuff into the pan when I was re-installing it. I hope not, but I guess that's what the filter's for, right?

Back