• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Mounts???

It's a pretty simple job. Takes about 1/2 hour per side.

Get yourself some 2x4s and figger out a way to support the motor from the oil pan GENTLY. Do one at a time, the driver's side is easier. Careful when tapping the driver's side bolt out/in though, I've broken the inlet on my p/s pump before.

jack up the oil pan(put wood or other protection) use a floor jack, and replace them took me 2 hours, on the passenger side you will need to rotate the oil filter adapter ther is one bolt in the center of the adapter.

Thanks for the help, Although, I was wondering more where to get some good mounts, other than the dealer? That's what I like about Cherokee people, they are always ready to help.

xEleventy Billion and Nine on the MORE mounts....hands down the best.

get the MORE mounts so you're not doing them again next year.

I actually found the passenger side to be easier, probably because I did the driver side first so I was still trying to learn the tricks of removing the old mounts.

Not a hard job by any means, I was intimiadted by it at first, but it went very smoothly.

Just don't buy AutoZone anchor motor mounts!

I replaced mine 5-6 months ago (both on the engine and one on the transfer case) and the driver's side engine mount is toast already!

How dare they!!

MORE, got mine in the shop ready to put in, waiting till the new header goes in first, M.O.R.E. is the concensus you'll get on here, by far.

MOREs are hard to beat. But do let some vibes pass into the XJ. With a sweet running engine you may never see the difference. But some so.
A torque strap is also very useful when using the softer stock type mounts. Use a trany to engine bolt for the engine mounting point and run it to anyplace on the firewall. Leave just a little slack in it. So the engine can move some under normal condition. But it will pull tight when you really get on it. This will take the excessive torque off the mounts. Sorry no pixs.
Also take a good look at the Tcase mounts. It often goes at the same time as the engine mounts.

If you can get some pics of this setup please post.

Passenger side was basically like giving birth to a motor mount when pulling the old one out due to all of the wires and A/C lines over there.

Might as well replace the 3 o-rings in the oil filter adapter, if they have never been replaced. MORE mounts have made a huge difference in driveability on my jeep, only notice vibes when in low RPM situations.

Nice photos of this topic here - http://www.jeepin.com/features/more/

The only PITA I've encountered with this job is if the bottom stud separates from the bracket and turns behind the rubber. 'Had to dig the rubber out piece by piece and grab the stud before the 15mm nut could come off. Added hours to the job - plan accordingly!

Myself doing a new engine soon - anybody got high mileage on those MORE's? They sure look like quality part...

XJXJ said:

The only PITA I've encountered with this job is if the bottom stud separates from the bracket and turns behind the rubber. 'Had to dig the rubber out piece by piece and grab the stud before the 15mm nut could come off. Added hours to the job - plan accordingly!

Myself doing a new engine soon - anybody got high mileage on those MORE's? They sure look like quality part...
Over 50k miles on mine with a stroker and still going strong.

I just did my mounts last weekend. I bought napa motor mounts. Im a poor kid. But i just used the directions from MORE. the only thing they dont mention is that you have to loosen the oil filter housing. and you kinda have to force the engine to get all the bolts set. Good Luck

dodo4bird said:
I just did my mounts last weekend. I bought napa motor mounts. Im a poor kid. But i just used the directions from MORE. the only thing they dont mention is that you have to loosen the oil filter housing. and you kinda have to force the engine to get all the bolts set. Good Luck

I seem to remember if horizontal bolt turned around on the passenger side, didn't need to mess with the oil filter location anymore?

Wow - I like that Brown Dog price and replaceable bushings!

XJXJ said:

Yeah that happened on one of my autozone motor mounts at first.

If you are running a t-case drop then take that out first cause its a beotch to get the bolts lined up with the engine tilted back

Back