• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch suggestions? For 1998 XJ

loup1276

NAXJA Forum User
Well I thought it was the slave cylinder a week ago I was driving and I depressed the clutch. It went to the floor with ease and when it returned was very stiff. I was able to continue driving it to my destination which was about a mile away. I had it towed to my dad's shop and he checked it out. I originally thought it was a slave cylinder because the cluth never slipped a bit. Now I am thinking it may be the preasure plate so I was wondering if anyone can make some recommandations Thanks, Louis

I highly doubt that it's the pressure plate. Probably the master cyl & or slave. I believe you have an external slave, so that should be easy to replace.

Rob $.02

I have been searching like crazy and it doesnt seam like that is the problem, My clutch never slipped or chatered before that the truck has 130 on it not sure if its the stock clutch or not but it seamed very smooth up until this

loup1276 said:
I have been searching like crazy and it doesnt seam like that is the problem, My clutch never slipped or chatered before that the truck has 130 on it not sure if its the stock clutch or not but it seamed very smooth up until this

By problem I mean preasure plate. Any other things I should be checking for ?

loup1276 said:

So now it's chattering & slipping? I think you left some details out. Take this quiz & it might help you narrow it down http://www.lukclutch.com/support/clutchquiz/

Rob $.02

I was very happy with the centerforce dual friction set in my '94. In the process get your flywheel machined and clean out the bellhousing, grease the shaft and throwout fork. Make sure your slave and master are still good.

gradon said:
In the process get your flywheel machined and clean out the bellhousing, grease the shaft and throwout fork. Make sure your slave and master are still good.

Assuming you have the 4.0, you really do not want to have the flywheel turned (machined) as suggested above. This may sound unusual, but the 4.0 has a unique fly wheel design that is not flat but is convex I believe. It should be tested w/ a dial indicator to check run out or warping. 4.0 flywheels should be replaced if out of spec. Other than that , good advise above.

Rob $.02

FELIX said:
Assuming you have the 4.0, you really do not want to have the flywheel turned (machined) as suggested above. This may sound unusual, but the 4.0 has a unique fly wheel design that is not flat but is convex I believe. It should be tested w/ a dial indicator to check run out or warping. 4.0 flywheels should be replaced if out of spec. Other than that , good advise above.

Rob $.02

The reason you shouldn't machine it is because there's no adjustment on the clutch throwout. If you take too much off it puts the pressure plate too far away from the throwout bearing and it won't disengage completely.

As long as it's not too far out you can usually get away with it once. I had mine resurfaced when I replaced the clutch 80,000 miles ago and it's been fine.

Ok just to clarify a couple of things. The clutch never slipped or chatered and was not doing so at the time I encountered this problem sorry if my description lead to the wrong interpertation. Also I spoke with my father in detail last night about what was going I will try to describe what he told me as best I can. He stated that he had someone stepping the clutch while the truck was up on his lift. He said he did not see any leaks with the slave clyinder. He disconnected the slave cylinder from the bell housing and had his worker stepping on the clutch he said when he did the slave cylinder extended out like it was suppose to. He said the part (not sure what its called) in the bell housing does not seam to be retracting back after the clutch was disengaged and it seams stuck. From what he can tell the problem lies within the clutch. I have had clutches go bad in the past and never expericnced any symptoms with my jeep ie slipping and chatering thats why I didnt think there was anything wrong with it he said the preasure plate could have went bad. Before I have someone change the clutch I just wanted to get any other input/advice so that I am not throwing money away. Thanks again for the responses

Back