• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Messed up Hack and Tap

truffle

NAXJA Forum User
:doh: As the title states, I screwed up the install of my RE hack and tap, and I need a new (used) output shaft. If anyone just has one lying around after their HD upgrade, could you help me out. I live in area code 47403 and will pay for shipping. I have a 97XJ Sport w/ 3"OME lift , np231 transfer case. Thanks.

By the way, if I wanted to upgrade to a PORC sye, could I still use my new driveshaft that came with the RE hack and tap, or will it not fit. It is new from DPG offroad. I suppose that if I have to open the transfer case to switch the output shafts, that I could just upgrade to a heavy duty output shaft, but only if the new driveshaft fits. Thanks again.

Since you are removing half of the TC now anyways, you should look at the Currie unit. The RE flanged D.S. will bolt right up..

RyanM said:
Since you are removing half of the TC now anyways, you should look at the Currie unit. The RE flanged D.S. will bolt right up..
The D.S. is from DPG offroad and not from RE. The hack and tap is RE. They are probably very similar since they both fit the hack and tap flange right? You say the RE D.S. will fit with the Currie sye? thanks

did you by chance tap and than hack????

depending on how quickly you need it, what did you do... I take it you feel it can't be recovered??

andrew2516 said:
how did you mess it up pics?

I'll check when I get home to see if I still have my output shaft laying around.

sorry no pics, I broke off the tap and just broke two sets of flutes on the tap extractor. That broken tap is maybe broke inside the hole so that it just wont turn out. I have tapped before so I thought this would be a breeze, but it is just my luck. I got the hack and tap to avoid splitting the case, it's the main reason. Was it hard to change out your output shaft? Thanks for your reply.

I sent you a PM. I have one you can have for shipping costs.

Splitting the case is easy,I still have that stock shaft available!(its out of a 2000)

Last edited:
XJensen said:
Sorry to hear that man, I wish I could help but the wife "suggested" I get rid off all the OEM jeep parts after the lift.

How long is your new DS?

I can't take a measurement of the DS right now cuz its sitting in my buddy's garage awaiting it's fate. It wanted to go in yesterday and go for a spin :looney: but it is just sitting there all lonely. When I ordered it I gave the measurement from my OEM DS from u-joint to u-joint and it was 27.75".

if you need a stock output shaft, head out to JBs Salvage off of Vernal Pike, they have 3 - 4 XJs out there that u can get at.

bmyohn said:
if you need a stock output shaft, head out to JBs Salvage off of Vernal Pike, they have 3 - 4 XJs out there that u can get at.
They would have to be 97+,and also twice the work!

bmyohn said:

Thanks for the response bmyohn. What year's are the XJ's? I might just go with the HD shaft upgrade, since I have to split the case anyway, but I might check out some other parts from JB's

i think there are a couple that are older then 96, if you give them a call tomorrow they can rattle off the years, i think out of the four, three of them are 2 doors..lol

you can also try Bloomington Auto Parts off of 37 (on the right side when going North), but they tend to be expensive...aka $850 for an 8.8"...lol

but JBs is a pick n' pull

truffle said:
sorry no pics, I broke off the tap and just broke two sets of flutes on the tap extractor. That broken tap is maybe broke inside the hole so that it just wont turn out. I have tapped before so I thought this would be a breeze, but it is just my luck. I got the hack and tap to avoid splitting the case, it's the main reason. Was it hard to change out your output shaft? Thanks for your reply.

take it to a machine shop an have it removed or just spend it time and drill it out it can be done. get some life time warantee left handed drill bits. i got a set for like $40 worth evey penny.

I finally got that little sucker out of there. I took a Christmas vacation, and left the repair alone for a week. This gave me new energy, and the focus to get out that f-ing broken tap. After tons of research and many different failed attempts (tap xtractor, left hand drill bits, etc...), I decided to buy myself a rotory tool. I bought a nice Craftsman one for christmas with some different tungsten carbide bits. I figured that if I screwed up the hole by grinding out the tap, I would just replace the tailshaft and start over. The rotary tool worked beyond my expectations. I was able to grind it out (took about 2-3 hours with breaks), and save the threads that were already in there. I finished tapping the hole out and put on the flange. The new driveshaft is going on today. Thanks again to all the responses to my repair. There is alot of good "karma" on this forum. Give and receive. Jeepers rule.:thumbup:

truffle said:
I finally got that little sucker out of there. I took a Christmas vacation, and left the repair alone for a week. This gave me new energy, and the focus to get out that f-ing broken tap. After tons of research and many different failed attempts (tap xtractor, left hand drill bits, etc...), I decided to buy myself a rotory tool. I bought a nice Craftsman one for christmas with some different tungsten carbide bits. I figured that if I screwed up the hole by grinding out the tap, I would just replace the tailshaft and start over. The rotary tool worked beyond my expectations. I was able to grind it out (took about 2-3 hours with breaks), and save the threads that were already in there. I finished tapping the hole out and put on the flange. The new driveshaft is going on today. Thanks again to all the responses to my repair. There is alot of good "karma" on this forum. Give and receive. Jeepers rule.:thumbup:

Another Idea for badly stuck broken taps that are so stuck the tap extractor & plenty of penetrating oil can't help,
A friend of mine welded a nut to the end of the broken tap & he Just used a wrench to take it out, took less than 5 minutes total!

Back