• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My diesel XJ is on the road!

DieselPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 85 diesel Cherokee in Oct 05 that didn't run and had 209k miles on it (come to find out the engine was absolutely worn out with 2 cracked sleeves and 2 spun bearings among other major problems). I have been working on it ever since! I rebuilt the Renault engine (including having it balanced because so much was replaced; pistons, crank and a couple of rods), the AX-5 transmission, the Garrett T2 turbo, the Paris Rhone alternator, the vacuum pump, the front drive shaft, and the brakes. The radiator was rebuilt with a 3 row core. I put new seals in the transfer case. Everything is new with respect to the clutch. All fluids changed. I also set it up to burn WVO. I modified the fuel tank such that it is 2 tanks in 1. The smaller section is approximately 6 gals. (for diesel) and the larger is about 14 gals. (for WVO). The WVO side has tubing wound through it for heating the oil with engine coolant. The diesel side is for starting and engine warmup. I added a valve to tie the 2 sections together if desired. Each section has its own sending unit. The dash gage "sees" whichever section is currently in service. Anyway, I got it on the road yesterday and it runs great! I have read that that diesel is doggedly slow. I was actually pretty impressed with the performance given it is only a 2.1L diesel. It does rely heavily on the turbo as is evident with the turbo lag. But, once the turbo spools up it performs quite well. I like it!

Any pics.? JIM.

Yea any pics of the engine? Out of the XJ and in it too?> And congrats on saving another XJ from doom!

Put them on Photobucket. Then attach them to your post. JIM.

DieselPioneer said:
Here are some before and after rebuild pics. I don't have any of the Jeep yet with the engine installed.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/tropicalrainforrest/IMG_5558.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8883.jpg
nice job on the cleanup

Thats pretty nifty! I've been keeping my eye open for a diesel Jeep. It would be fun to restore.

How hard are parts to find for the Renault?

ah, now ya need to be like me and find a 100% brand new renault 2.1 motor for $75 laying on a guys trailer.

that said, it needs new gaskets after a fresh hone-job (it sat since 1987 when purchased)

care to help me source a complete gasket kit for the motor?

thanks. and keep up the good work

Stupid question time...

How do you prime the fuel system after draining it?

I've got the replacement tank in (but not yet tightened down), but I can't seem to find a manual pump for priming the fuel system anywhere.

Normally it's pretty obvious, as you need to use it if you ever run out of fuel, but I can't find it.

Am I blind, or is there really no pump?

TwistedSymphony,

There is a recent post in this forum that talks about where to get 2.1L diesel parts. There are some good sources there.

jeepcomj,

You're right I am jealous. Hey, I'll give you $100! Just kidding.

I assume that you have taken the engine apart for honing the sleeves (BTW keep the sleeves in order as there is quite a procedure for determining order). Try Rockauto.com[url/] for the gaskets....et these at [url]www.winnebagoparts.com[url/]

Steve,

I had the same problem. There is no pump. I didn't find anywhere in writing as to how to do it either. I disconnected the line from the filter to the pump at the filter. Filled a gear lube bottle (having a nippled top) with diesel and forced the diesel fuel into the inj. pump. I think I also filled the filter from the nipple at the top passenger side of the filter housing with a small hose, the gear lube bottle, and by opening the large plastic valve screw on top of the filter housing at the nipple. I may have had to do that a couple of times. But I also had an air leak in one of my hoses that I did not know I was fighting either.

DieselPioneer said:
Steve,

I had the same problem. There is no pump. I didn't find anywhere in writing as to how to do it either. I disconnected the line from the filter to the pump at the filter. Filled a gear lube bottle (having a nippled top) with diesel and forced the diesel fuel into the inj. pump. I think I also filled the filter from the nipple at the top passenger side of the filter housing with a small hose, the gear lube bottle, and by opening the large plastic valve screw on top of the filter housing at the nipple. I may have had to do that a couple of times. But I also had an air leak in one of my hoses that I did not know I was fighting either.

Thanks (wow, fast reply).

I'm waiting on the manual to download (just found it, I'll post the link in a sec).

If not, looks like I'm going to have to siphon from the tank.

Mouthfulls of diesel, mmm....

Manuals are here (in French) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/morbius/jeep.cherokee/technique_entretien.html

No luck on the priming sequence for the pump yet though, now to search by pump type...

Last edited:
thanks for the info.

all told, how much do you think the gasket set ran you?

my dad's had the old motor apart twice trying to get the crack in the head welded and remachined, and each time it failed in less than 500 miles.

the truck is about ready for a full restore...floors gone, box shot. cab/corners/rockers are all pretty nice though, and the interior is great other than a headliner.

Back