• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

local IT guys?

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
anyone local who can come take a look at my kids PC it wont connect to the internet anymore and im tired of talking to india for 4+ hours and getting nowhere. i pay in :cheers: or i'll take you out to a killer mexican place for dinner :D

GrimmJeeper said:
anyone local who can come take a look at my kids PC it wont connect to the internet anymore and im tired of talking to india for 4+ hours and getting nowhere. i pay in :cheers: or i'll take you out to a killer mexican place for dinner :D

Bring it by my place, we can see what I can do to it.
If nothing else, we can have a couple beers and you can get your sons hoody.

Brendan_91XJ said:
Bring it by my place, we can see what I can do to it.
If nothing else, we can have a couple beers and you can get your sons hoody.
thanks for the offer but the problem is getting it to connect to my wireless network. it was working fin up until last week, the kids say they didnt do anything but you know how that goes, they click yes on whatever pops up without reading it just to make it go away. you should see how many search toolbars they have on IE :shocked: it can see the network, but it wont connect. see my other extensive thread here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936008

i was just wondering if someone around here could come take a look, because i dont know wtf im doing :eeks1:

I can swing by and fix it, but my schedules tweaked for the next couple of days. If you dont have it fixed by thursday afternoon give me a call.

My Home is wireless as well..

what brand router and wireless card are you using?

password protected?

2wire 1701HG wireless gateway router, linksys wireless usb adapter on pc2.

pc1 is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. for some reason the router is trying to assign a static ip to pc2, but it should be set up to use dhcp. the wireless connection on pc2 is all set up to have the ip assigned by the router, and has dhcp enabled.

problem solved, looks like spyware and malicious software ruined the networking parts of the registry and winsock. now the kids get a lesson in DONT CLICK IT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS DAMNIT :skull1:

:D

You should setup up user profiles if using NT/2K or XP with limited permissions so they can't install anything like that.

the guy that set it up was supposed to do that, i know the permissions are limited on the pc, but i dont know how limited. nor do i know how to set it up.

If you're using XP home edition, there isn't really that much you can do. If you have XP Pro, you can lock the desktop down to what icons you want them to use and that's it.

Or get them vista....nothing works on it anywho =)

SanDiegoXJ said:
If you're using XP home edition, there isn't really that much you can do. If you have XP Pro, you can lock the desktop down to what icons you want them to use and that's it.

Or get them vista....nothing works on it anywho =)
actually on vista I had my wife locked out of so much stuff she begged me to set up her old computer on her own desk so now my computer is actually MINE party1:

Back