• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sagging headliner

to correctly fix it you can take the headliner down by taking the plastic trim down and then putting the new fabric on the headliner. There's plenty of instructions out there, search here or on google.

I picked up a new headliner for mine on ebay. went in easy, good instructions on teardown and install...just watch the kind of adhesive you use because mine is already billowing in the wind! After doing it once though, I'm not too worried about getting it right this time.

Dont use 3M Super 77, that will not hold. You need headliner adhesive, fouind at the auto parts store. Its Permatex brand and is in a orange bottle.

A quick fix is to cut some thin strips of wood 1/8 or 3/16 about 3/4 inch wide. Make them long enough so that when you put the ends over the plastic door moulding over the doors, that they will bow up. Kinda looks like the inside of a Conestoga covered wagon, but it beats having a headliner in your hair.

Necessity is the mother of invention they say.

I'm just gonna yank mine out.

I think everyone that has an original headliner in an old(er) XJ has a saggy one. They're like boobs. They get old, they sag. Sorry for the mental image, guys.

I'm contemplating just tearing mine out.

85xj4dr said:
I think everyone that has an original headliner in an old(er) XJ has a saggy one. They're like boobs. They get old, they sag.

I guess mine had a boob-job at some time 'cuz the headliner is the only thing on the ol' girl that still looks new!:laugh:

--Shorty

I think mine has til spring and then it'll be drooping to the point where my tolerance will be nil. I think Jeeps with water-getting-inside issues(75% or <) have more humidity and thus weaken the glue holding the headliner faster. Definitely an effin Jeepthing.

Back