• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack n Tap

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I've got a question. I just picked up a used Hack n tap, and I think I've got everything ready to go, except for one thing. First, the specs- it's going in a 98XJ, 231, currently with a 8.25, going to be D44, using a front DS out of an XJ with the same specs. The D44 is in the garage, waiting for me to finish up the disc conversion before I drop it in. I'll probably swap everything at the same time.

Here's my question- the kit I bought didn't come with any of the hardware. I bought the four flange bolts, and the main shaft bolt. I think I am missing some type of spacer, washer or something that goes behind the main shaft bolt and holds the whole flange onto the DS. All I have is the grade 8, 1" bolt, and standard washer, but that's not going to keep anything in plance because it's smaller than the diameter of the shaft. It looks like there is even room for a snap ring, is there supposed to be one? Can somebody post a pic of what theirs looks like or what it is I'm missing? TIA.

IMG_2346.jpg

a very strong washer the same id as the hole (where it looks like a snap ring could go)

Hmm, I seem to remember that there was an actual piece on the SYE flange that had a small hole in it that the bolt went through. Looks like you don't have it. Looks like I can see the little groves where that plate was supposed to be in. I'm not positive, but I don't see why a large washer wouldn't do the trick.

I would do the washer so that it would go over the lip of that flange where it goes on the shaft, that way it would actually hold it on.

x2 on the washer and snap.

the previous owner probably removed the snap ring and washer so he could use a puller to remove the h&t from the old tc shaft

right_one.jpg

You can see the 'washer' in this shot - as noted, the snap ring is on the far side.
re1807_reverse.gif

Interestingly, I apparently never took a pic of the installed product though. Should be able to get the replacement parts through RE if you have trouble sourcing them locally.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

tags referring to a picture residing somewhere on the 'net.

Is [i]this[/i] in the FAQ?? [img]http://yuccaman.com/icons/rolleye.gif

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Ya know, I called RE when I bought this stuff and asked them if I could just buy the hardware kit for the H&T- the guy told me it was all stuff I could find at the hardware store. BS!!! If I hadn't got such a good deal on the rest of the kit, this wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Does the washer sit above the splines? What size is the hole in the washer- 3/8"? I'm assuming I can find the snap ring at NAPA somewhere....

I had one of my (former) techs install a new chain t/c chain in my machine a while ago, he forgot to install the washer on re-assembly, I made it almost 20miles before I heard a grinding noise, I pulled over saw tranny fluid everywhere. That was a neat repair roadside in the dark.Pays to carry tools,spare parts and a good flashlight (and a little mrs to hold the light)

Okay, here's what I've come up with. Does anybody see a problem running a 5/8" grade 8 washer (this has the correct OD to sit above the splines but below the snap ring) underneath a 3/8" washer (fits inside the snap ring) for the 3/8" bolt? That's what I've come up with using readily available parts.

I really need an opinion on this. I found the snap ring I need, and I have two options for the washers. 1- Is what I listed above. It would be two washers stacked on top of each other, one with the correct OD, one with the correct ID. 2- Is a grade 5 (or less) 3/8" fender washer ground down to the correct OD. What is the better option here?

joshv98xj said:
Ya know, I called RE when I bought this stuff and asked them if I could just buy the hardware kit for the H&T- the guy told me it was all stuff I could find at the hardware store.

If it was that easy, he should have told you what to get at the hardware store.

Can you download the installation instructions? Maybe it has a parts list. If not, call the guy back and ask him for a parts list.

I have the instructions and the parts list- it's just that the hardware store, NAPA, Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears don't have what I need. (Yes, I've been to all of them). I can't find what I need in less than a bulk buy.

You should be able to find the washer anywhere. It's the snap-ring that you'll probably have to special order. I payed $5-6 to have one shipped from RE just so I wouldnt waste time searching.

I thought about just tack welding the washer in place but since I was selling the kit I wanted it to be put together correctly.

At this point your probably better off to find a local machine shop and have them turn you a washer on a lathe, given the dimensions it would take all of about 5 mins. and they'ed probably give it to you cuase most of them have been in the same situation. It's worth a shot if you can't find what you need.

Does anybody have a pic of the snap ring? I just picked up a standard snap ring that fit the dimensions of the flange. It's not loose or anything, but I don't know if it is what it came with or not.

It's just a standard looking internal snap-ring. The size is also standard but it's somewhat of an "oddball" size. I believe it has an OD of 1 7/16" but don't hold me to that. If you contact RE (877.367.7824) they will tell you what size it is for sure.

Back