• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

goferitoffroad.com tie rod flip inserts

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm probably going to sound like a total newb so be easy!

What benefits will I see from using this kit from http://goferitoffroad.com/products.htm besides the tie rod being in a less vulnerable place.

Will my rig handle better and will I get more droop due to the steering being closer to stock?Does anything else need to be addressed when installing a t.r. flip kit?Will the rig be more stable on the high way with less bump steer off road?

This is on a 89 xj with r.e 5.5" lift. and stock steering(gasp!!)

Thanks,
Mike

I'm gonna have to say by just doing that your steering would be worse.
unless you did something with the track bar as well.

flipping the tie rod's will lift the whole assembly about 1.5 inches, changing the angle of the drag link (drag link and track bar are supposed to be parallel)

if you used a drop track bar frame mount or raised the axle end of the track bar that should cure it, but dont quote me on that

later Mike

jeepdeepfreak said:
I'm probably going to sound like a total newb so be easy!

What benefits will I see from using this kit from http://goferitoffroad.com/products.htm besides the tie rod being in a less vulnerable place.

Will my rig handle better and will I get more droop due to the steering being closer to stock?Does anything else need to be addressed when installing a t.r. flip kit?Will the rig be more stable on the high way with less bump steer off road?

This is on a 89 xj with r.e 5.5" lift. and stock steering(gasp!!)

Moving the tie rods up will help the geometry but it is only a mild bit of correction. It might help, you might even be able to feel the difference. Given the price it might be worth doing.

I have a set of these sitting on my desk. I bought them with the intention of installing them in my WJ knuckles. Now I'm not so sure. I don't like the idea of replacing the castle and cotter pin with a stover style lock nut. If it was a trail only rig it wouldn't be a big deal but with a daily driver... I should look further to see if I can retain the castle/cotter arrangement.

For those in the know, if I'm being overly anal let the me know. :D

Edit: and Mike above is right - you need to keep the track bar and drag link parallel to one another to reduce bump steer.

Root Moose said:
I have a set of these sitting on my desk. I bought them with the intention of installing them in my WJ knuckles. Now I'm not so sure. I don't like the idea of replacing the castle and cotter pin with a stover style lock nut. If it was a trail only rig it wouldn't be a big deal but with a daily driver... I should look further to see if I can retain the castle/cotter arrangement.

after installing my goferit flips, i continued to use the castle nuts and cotter pins....not the nut they supplied

IntrepidXJ said:
after installing my goferit flips, i continued to use the castle nuts and cotter pins....not the nut they supplied

Thank you - good to know. They will get installed.

I don't think this will matter to most who use these but, you will most likely not be able to use stock wheels with these.
if your wheels are larger than stock 16/17+, or have more offset (stick out further) you should be OK then.

No, that would make it worse. Dropping the top of the track bar and raising the bottom of the drag link. However, with mine I didnt do anything and I dont notice anything. I wouldnt worry about it. Though I have long given up on keeping it street friendly, even though its my DD.

If you do both sides you need a RHD draglink
You'll also need to move your swaybar mounts, and change the angle of your tracbar.

check out GOJEEP's writeup

if you just put it on the driver side, there should be no problem and it adds GC. as for flipping it on both sides. BIG W got the cure.

the flip insert was heavily promoted in the Performance XJ Builders guide. I'm tempted

jeep-man-man said:
I like the looks/idea of that product...Does anyone have a final installed pic?

I have Fulltraction arms and Rock Krawler 6.5" coils.

I used a RHD draglink and a 95 ZJ tierod for the steering. I used the ZJ TR because it has stronger ends and it's solid hardend steel over 1" thick compared to the thin tubing used for the stock XJ TR.
JKS OAB and cutom length tracbar

Old Steering with 2" drop pitman (wore out steering gear box)
SsteeringOABanddroppitman.JPG

New OTK with ZJ tierod
SsteeringOABandOTK.JPG

Mounts are even
Spitmanandtracbar.JPG

TB and DL are parralell now and on the same plane
Sparralell.JPG

The bend in the ZJ TR keeps well clear of the spring perch
Stierodbend.JPG

Draglink angle
Sdraglink.JPG

TRE angle (almost flat)
Stierodend.JPG

After breaking 3 of these heres alittle advice...

Dont use them on the drag link TRE on the WJ setup, they are not strong enough to push and pull both tires. I have broken 2 on my setup. One shattered into about 6 peices, the other simply split apart around the thin portion(top of the taper) below the flange.

Use antiseize or something to help with removing a TRE and not removing half the insert with it. Thats how the other one broke.

Weld top and bottom and use a flapper wheel to grind the weld and extra insert length flat with the knuckle to help with dispersing the pressure from the nut.

The Goferit inserts are a mild steel which is OK for the most part but HM Engineering has made a few of these out of Chromoly which I have yet to break.

T&A-XJ said:
HM Engineering has made a few of these out of Chromoly which I have yet to break.

Contact info?

this was the setup on my last rig, it has the flip with a currie steering setup, worked awsome!
0b0a353e.jpg

I tried contacting the guys at goferitoffroad.com to find out about shipping to canada but they never got back to me... Anyone else have any problems with them?

canadianwheeler said:
I tried contacting the guys at goferitoffroad.com to find out about shipping to canada but they never got back to me... Anyone else have any problems with them?

They do everything USPS so just call them up and order (leave contact info on their voice mail).

Since they do USPS get them to ship to your CDN address. There will be no brokerage fees.

HTH

Back