• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR 1-ton Steering DD

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have searched searched and searched some more, I have found a bunch of great information. I am completely set on purchasing his inverted T setup when I know I have $300 to blow.

My current stock steering setup won't align worth crap, it pulls to the right and seems to be getting worse and worse. I had it aligned after I lifted it and I haven't even gone off road with it so I know I haven't tweaked anything.

So I want to get rid of it and use a much superior setup with easily excessible off the self parts. JCR has the answer.

I understand what I have to do to install this unit, there is no turning back once it's on...

My question is, who daily drives with the JCR setup? I am looking for how well this setup has worked for people in the long run. My heep is my DD, I don't want to run any hiems in my steering (pisses me off that I have to use one on the RE1600)

Also, the TRE's that are shipped with the kit, are they "American Premium"? The part numbers I used from JCR's site punched into the computer at work with TRW #'s which is the Canadian supplier for premium parts (life time warrenty to boot)

I am only at 3.5" of lift, I will be keeping it under the knuckle for simplicities sake.

Last edited:
I run a setup like JCR's on 3.5" of lift. My only complaint is the tie rod roll I have, but I have poly spacers waiting to be installed. JCR's kit comes with them already.

Otherwise is mad beef.

i run it on 4.5" of lift and its a great kit, and JCR is a great company to work with.

you may want to add a steering stabilizer though. i noticed its a lot easier to control at freeway speeds, and i have very limited bump steer now.

What would be the downsides to running an aluminum bushing with this kit? I constantly read about "slop" in the passenger side tie rod before of an unchangable design flaw

Got this setup on my 96 with 3.5" of lift ... it's my DD and trail rig, works great ... has very little tie rod roll with the poly spacers on both ends of the tie rod ... added steering stabalizer and now have no bump steer at all. The tie rod will support the weight of my XJ on big rocks - a friend spotting for me was so impressed he now has it on his 01 XJ. I have managed to bend the right side tie rod end but not the tie rod itself - not a parts problem, just a bit too agressive of an approach to a big rock. Mine is mounted under the knuckle.

I've thought about aluminum or teflon bushings but they would need to be custom sized for each rod end as the taper cut will vary with each reaming and effect the needed thickness of any non flexible spacer ... but I think this is doable.

I highly recommend this setup and anything else JCR builds .... and they are great guys to deal with as well as being sponsors of NAXJA

Mike

Last edited:
wow, i was just about to post pretty much the same question. im thinking of buying the jcr kit in a few weeks but i think im going to go with the over the knuckle instead. Now will there be any difference in terms of drivability with this kit compared to the standard under the knuckle?. My jeeps my daily driver for the moment and like yours my steering is sloppy and pulls to the right, so i'de like to tightened it up some and this seems like the way to go.
thanks

J-Roc said:
Also, the TRE's that are shipped with the kit, are they "American Premium"? The part numbers I used from JCR's site punched into the computer at work with TRW #'s which is the Canadian supplier for premium parts (life time warrenty to boot).

Our kit does not come with moog (premium) Tie rod ends. We once considered offering a kit like that, however it was going to cost $425. The TRE's we use are mid range quality and we have been very pleased with the amount of life they are having.

J-Roc said:
What would be the downsides to running an aluminum bushing with this kit? I constantly read about "slop" in the passenger side tie rod before of an unchangable design flaw

You can not install something that would limit all of the TRE movement. The Tie rod end needs to have some give to allow for some range of motion during drive and offroading.

The Poly spacer we send with our kit is as hard as the factory spacers used on some wagoneers back in the day, I would be leary of going any harder then that.

AeroZeppelin said:
Now will there be any difference in terms of drivability with this kit compared to the standard under the knuckle?. My jeeps my daily driver for the moment and like yours my steering is sloppy and pulls to the right, so i'de like to tightened it up some and this seems like the way to go.
thanks

If you have the tooling, ability or a trust worthly shop to do the install OTK, it is hands down the best upgrade you will make on your jeep. Everyone that ends up OTK with the 1 ton steering say "this handles better then stock!".

Last edited:
JCR, thanks for replying to this thread, I am stull seriously debating about this kit... I was the one that sent you the e-mail regarding the factory sized TRE's to avoid reaming the knuckles out...

I'll shoot you another e-mail shortly, still browsing over my options at the moment...

I have the JCR steering on mine. I'm about 6" and thinking about OTK.
Is tie rod flip inserts like www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm the most cost efficient way if doing it?

I don't think that goferit has the correct spacers for the application... unless they supply different tapered spacers that fit the Chevy TRE's
If they do have the correct spacers for that taper, I would much rather drill the knuckle out and weld a spacer in just so I could reassure myself that the taper is correct for the TRE instead of mickey mousing the knuckle with a reamer and guesstimating

J-Roc said:
I don't think that goferit has the correct spacers for the application... unless they supply different tapered spacers that fit the Chevy TRE's
If they do have the correct spacers for that taper, I would much rather drill the knuckle out and weld a spacer in just so I could reassure myself that the taper is correct for the TRE instead of mickey mousing the knuckle with a reamer and guesstimating
J-Roc, your right. Went back to the goferit site, and they say "Stock TRE's". I just assumed they were 1 ton Chevys.

I fired an e-mail off to JCR, we'll see what the man can do... I'm debating now whether I want to buy the full kit or just the rods... I would love to pay for life time warrenty only once on the joints. It costs me a lot more but it might just be worth it, maybe cheaper on shipping too :yap:

J-Roc,
When you email JCR. ask if they have the parts they can throw in a box to do a OTK.

:kissyou:

Back