• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just some axle questions...

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have an XJ that is going to be my trail rig and I want to go to full sized axles (I am going to run 37s, 6"s of lift, and probably stroke the 4.0L). Through my searching of the threads, I have deduced that F250/350 (single wheel) 4x4s are the donors of choice for D60. There is a pull a part yard close to my home, but there is only one f250 4x4 out there and I guess it is relatively new because the front drive train is not quite a solid axle. This yard is not my only option, but it is cheep and close to my house. They do however have an abundance of F150s. I know this will not help me out in the front, but aren’t the rear ends in 150s a 9"? I know there is a world of aftermarket options to beef a 9" up. I’m sure it could be just as strong as a 1ton and save some weight, too. I would probably have to truss it for the tubes sake. Does this sound like a viable option, or am I seriously missing something?

I was also wondering what trasfercases are in the older F250s? I have a buddy of mine that has one for sale and I was wondering if I could use the Tcase as well as the axles. Just throwing it out there...

The 9'' is a good option, but people dont like them because the pinion hangs so low. You might want to look into a rear 60 or 14 bolt, shave it, and run disk brakes. Tad bit heavy, but you will have the piece of mind knowing that you wont break them. Added plus, you most likely wont break the shafts, and you can pick up spares for cheap at a junk yard.

The tcases can be np205s and 203s I believe. They are huge, both in weight and physical size. Not worth it.

OK, I have been hearing a lot of folks say "get rockwells". Are they being serious? How much does one of those monsters weigh? I have seen some pics of some extreme jeeps with these under them, but would it be beneficial with 37s? If so, how would I go about finding a set, and is there any tech threads on the actual buildup?

a ford 9" is a very viable option, and after shaving it - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934582
- I am semi-happy with it.

I am running stock 31 spline shafts in a stock centersection on 35's, and have yet to have any issues.

someday, ill upgrade from the super low pinion to a http://www.truehi9.com/ Hi Pinion and 35 spline shafts...

the general consensus is that a 35 spline ford 9 (for which many companies make alloy shafts) and many companies make aftermarket high pinion and low pinion center sections, and many companies make lockers is strong enough to handle 37's without the need to even bring a spare shaft to the trail.

Back