• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird 4x4 sounds

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my story:

Ok my 4x4 pivot linkage popped out a month ago, manually had to switch it from underneath the jeep to go from 4hi/4lo to 2hi or neutral. i got the 231.

then i blew my rear yoke on my axle so i drove around in Front Wheel Drive for a few days and it really rode great except starting off it'd buck and of course tight turns.

then i got my yoke, put it on, put rear driveshaft on ,fixed my 4x4 linkage at the same time put it back in the pivot.

So im drivin in 2hi it feels so much better then my old yoke its comfortable shifts great, suddenly my second gear is toast, nearly impossible to get in and it pops out under acceleration or around a turn

and to top it off when it's in 4hi driving betwene 5-25 mph it's super bucky and screams a lot of noise is this usual? i mean i remember what my 4x4 was like before i put the yoke in and rear driveshaft in front wheel drive it rode fine but now with 4 wheel drive its super jenky as if my driveshafts are at a bad angle popping or somethin, any ideas?

theres no way you can tell improvements on a new yoke. Unless the other one had a 'tab' broken or was slop on pinion. Why are you driving 25mph in 4hi? Fluid? check front end suspension and axle parts since a lot of stress was put on it days prior.

Back