• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailgate Mounted Spare

Indertdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen a spare mounted to the Tailgate of a XJ Cherokee? The one with the Steel tailgate.

I am thinking of doing this. I think that provided I can source strong enough struts and beef up the hinges and come up with some way of beefing up the mounting position for the spare it would be apples?

Any ideas guys??

Never seen it, but anything is possible.
The idea has some allure, but I wouldn't be able to open my tail gate all the way, when the Jeep's in the garage, with the garage door open. With a swing-out, stock, or after-market, I couldn't open the hatch when pulling a trailer, or when some one was parked close behind.

Ive been wondering this myself, stronger lifts and reinforced hinges. Take the carrier off say a Liberty, reinforce inside the hatch with steel plate or something...

Probably the biggest problem, if all that worked out, would be making sure you wern't interfering with anything moving inside the hatch.

Good point 98XjSport. I haven't taken the lining off the inside to see what is on the inside. If the Land rovers, Toyotas and Nissans can do a swing out one I can't see why I couldn't do a swing up one.

It's doable. Get the tailgate guts from a Liberty, if you can. If not, make your own inside-tailgate brackets from 1/8" angle. I was going to do this some time ago, as my father-in-law works for Jeep and could have gotten me the Libby tailgate guts at the time; however, when I simulated the weight that would be hanging off the back, my wife couldn't even lift the hatch.

I wanna see the gas charged struts you'd need to lift, say, a 31" tire, up....

I'm sure it could be done, but you'd need some serious struts....

:)

Why does there have to be struts holding the hatch up? We dont have stuts holding our hoods open... so why not do what the hood has going for it, an arm to hold it open? I think it would be way easier and more reliable than some stuts. and cheaper.

Timber said:
It's doable. Get the tailgate guts from a Liberty, if you can. If not, make your own inside-tailgate brackets from 1/8" angle. I was going to do this some time ago, as my father-in-law works for Jeep and could have gotten me the Libby tailgate guts at the time; however, when I simulated the weight that would be hanging off the back, my wife couldn't even lift the hatch.

just need struts that lift an extra 50-60 pounds more than what's there now and then perhaps has a lock out. http://www.easylift.com/contact/buildyourown.aspx

Interesting project.

All you need is strut length and like M21 said, stronger lift capability.

I worked at a paintball field for a while, we built an "APC" out of an old ford ranger. To lift the back end for loading and unloading we went to the auto parts store and got some off the shelf struts. We got the right weight ones, our problem was we got some that were too long, and they snapped the hinges.

Not that expensive, if I recall.

Does anyone think that the factory hinges and latch will be able to hold the extra weight bouncing down the road?

Yea it will hold the extra weight while driving but when you put it up it will cause a lot more stress on the hinges. Also I wouldn't drive it with the lift gate open and that weight on there cause the hinges will have to bear the whole weight instead of the latch and the contact with of the gate and the body helping support it.

Yeah the weight issue is the only obstacle I see with mounting it to the hatch. Plus, remember that it's fiberglass.

1985xjlaredo said:
Yea it will hold the extra weight while driving but when you put it up it will cause a lot more stress on the hinges. Also I wouldn't drive it with the lift gate open and that weight on there cause the hinges will have to bear the whole weight instead of the latch and the contact with of the gate and the body helping support it.

:eek: :scared: Why would you drive with the lift gate open? Is this a common need amongst us? I am unaware of this...

BruceB83 said:
Yeah the weight issue is the only obstacle I see with mounting it to the hatch. Plus, remember that it's fiberglass.

:eek: :scared: Why would you drive with the lift gate open? Is this a common need amongst us? I am unaware of this...

Not fiberglass on a 96+ :D

Think with the proper bracing it would work on a fiberglass? Im thinking it would crack, especially if it got really cold.

BruceB83 said:

well I was thinking of if you have something to haul that is long like if you had some 2x4's sticking out the back and you bungee the back down to a d ring or bumper. I did not mean like just crusing with it wide open.

1985xjlaredo said:
well I was thinking of if you have something to haul that is long like if you had some 2x4's sticking out the back and you bungee the back down to a d ring or bumper. I did not mean like just crusing with it wide open.

Lol....gotcha. But, I can fit 8' 2x4's in the Jeep. Two weeks ago I hauled 50 1x4x8's in the Jeep and was able to shut the gate.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933157

We were talking about this, unfortunately it was in the OEM forum. To give the question the attention it needs, Im posting the question here. Ive got a line on a mount from a TJ I think it is. If I bolt through the liftgate, and put a reinforcing plate inside the door, will the hinges and latch handle a 33" spare? I know it will need stronger pistons, and there may be clearance issues with inside cables washer fluid lines, or electrical connections. Any thoughts?

Back