• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few problems with my 89 jeep cherokee

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having some problems with my 89 jeep cherokee 4L auto. its been running a bit rough..i will drive on the hwy for a while then when i stop somewhere and turn it back on it runs rough and once i put it into gear and start to move it dies on me..also if its cold it dies on me sometimes..

i find i dont have nearly as much power as i use to. i will be driving on the hwy and flooring it and it wont go any faster..

i have alot of oil coming into my air filter.

Im really not sure what was wroing..probabaly a few things, i was thinking might be my valve cover or something? any ideas would be great

and my heat isnt working as well as it should be..it gets hot but not much air coming out on any of the settings...not sure what could be wrong?

thanks

the oil in the air filter is blowby,
the loss of power could be from alot of things, like a clogged catalytic converter, an oil-soaked air filter, plugged fuel filter or a million other things.

the loss of power isnt all the time...sometimes it seems to run fine..i have new fuel injectors and fuel filter..

how can i check the catalitic converter?

there seems to be alot of oil coming out...it soaks the air filter and drips everywhere is that normal for just blow by?

To check the cat disconnect down pipe at the exhaust manifold or anywhere pre-cat, and take it for a drive. It's loud but if cat is clgged like mine was you'll notice a difference.
Good Luck

Back