• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Placing tire on roof rack, where preferred?

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to build a custom roof rack and will be mounting my spare up there. The rack will be low mounted, maybe an 1" off the roof. I have read all the debates of on the roof or on a rear carrier and my decision is going to be on the roof.

My question is, where is it better to mount the spare, near the front or near the rear? I was thinking of building something similar to the Gobi rack ( http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/ ) but then I was thinking what would be better, back or front mounted?

Ideas? I have been searching NAXJA, a few other forums and Google trying to find something I like and then doing a modified copy of something. I have a few cool ideas that I will use.

Thanks and I will post pics of whatever I end up building.

Whatever you do, build a windspoiler. My mileage went from 10.5 to 12+ with the addition of the little plastic thingy.

181861277-L.jpg

Since you are building it yourself, perhaps you could come up with a bracket that pivots on the back rail and allows you to swing the tire down for easier access. My biggest gripe on my roof mount is getting the tire unhooked and down. I finally built a narrow step ledge mounted in my rear hitch that gives me something to stand on for easy access.

Shogun said:
Forward = better weight distribution
rearward = better aerodynamics

I don't think I understand the first statement.

Shogun said:
Forward = better weight distribution
rearward = better aerodynamics

YA IM:huh:TOO???? Hasta

fizassist said:
I don't think I understand the first statement.

You know, get the weight up front...towards the...engine...hmm.

Maybe towards the back would be good for weight distribution.

Near the rear is best. Pick your spare up and put it up there, your not going to want it any further forward than you have to. The further forward, the harder to reach and heavier it makes it, due to lack of leverage.

Okay, sounds like at the rear seems to be preferred. I'll build it that way. BTW, I am going to build a hatch mounted ladder, like the Gobi unit. Should make getting up there to pull it down easier.

Thanks for the comments.

Why do you guys keep talking about these "hatch mounted ladders"????? They seem downright foolish to me. I always just stand on the rear tire, and can reach everything on the roof just fine. If I need something at the front, just stand on the drivers side running board (with the door open). It's built in, and if you are missing the rear tires or running boards, your problems go way beyond getting something off the roof.

Just my opinion.

WildernessJeep said:
Whatever you do, build a windspoiler. My mileage went from 10.5 to 12+ with the addition of the little plastic thingy.

181861277-L.jpg

Any problems with your trail light brightness after that plexi shield? I love how you pulled a U-turn off the Highway for a river crossing yards from a bridge lol. Nice.

WildernessJeep said:
Why do you guys keep talking about these "hatch mounted ladders"????? They seem downright foolish to me. I always just stand on the rear tire, and can reach everything on the roof just fine. If I need something at the front, just stand on the drivers side running board (with the door open). It's built in, and if you are missing the rear tires or running boards, your problems go way beyond getting something off the roof.

Just my opinion.

In my opinion, it makes it easier to get the spare off and on and they make very good vantage points. Sure you don't want to jump up and down from the roof but carefully moving around works. My .02 worth.

Hey guys maybe its just meeee buutt is are xjz really that tall.
I mean if your a hobit its one thing..... wait iv always wanted to install a climbing rope on my jeep that sounds like an easy way to get my spare???

tjmwr7 said:
Hey guys maybe its just meeee buutt is are xjz really that tall.
I mean if your a hobit its one thing.....

It depends on the XJ :rof:

OK OK if you have 52" cat tires on ill give you a break.....BUT
If you have those on ur xj your really really sick in the head
and it sounds like you need my swinging rope design:twak:

Back