• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped front ds bolts

some time ago i was trying to remove my front drive shaft. i was able to get the bolts off at the axle end just fine. i ran into trouble when i tried to get the bolts off where the ds meets the transfercase front output yoke. i got 1 of the 4 bolts out no problem. i ended up stripping the heads on the remaining three. i had been repeatedly spraying them with pb blaster for two weeks prior to the attempt. i have stripped the heads further with vice grips and they still wont budge.

i am wondering what other methods i could try to get those bolts off. i am leary of using heat in that area due to it being attatched to the tc. it is also quite a tight squeeze in there and only a box end wrench will fit. i dont have enough clearance to fit a socket and wrench in there otherwise i would get and try one of those sockets that will take out even stripped bolts. i was wondering if it would be feasable to cut the head of the bolt off with a dremel, remove the ds and then remove the stub. or are both pieces threaded.

second question, what is the size needed for replacement bolts. obviously the bolts are fubar'ed and i am not wanting to get the stock bolts with that funky flange from the stealership. hopefully something with a little shorter of a head allowing for the use of a socket wrench.

thanks
stewie

Those small heads are easy to round off, especially using an open end wrench. When I managed to stripped one on my MJ, I heated it with a torch which loosened it up nicely and it came right out. I had extra bolts, but I believe there is not enough room to use standard hex hex bolts. You might need to find some allen head bolts. I think they were 10.9 grade metric, but I'm not 100% sure.

My wifes Nissan frontier was a bitch. I had room to get a box end wrench on those, but I couldn't bust them lose even with a 3-ft cheaper bar and using my foot. I ended up using a cutoff wheel on the heads and replacing the bolts. The FSM called for 50 ft-lbs on the bolts, btw.

Use a Dremel to cut a straight slot in the head. Heat them up just a little with a torch and use a screwdriver to remove them. To get more torque on the screwdriver, you can use a wrench on the shaft if it is a square shaft or use vise grips if the shaft is round.

Back