• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Low Range

melwade

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 90 Cherokee with a np242 transfer case. It doesn't seem to go into low range. Hi work great. I can't move it out of Hi to Low while in gear. Put it in neutral and and the lever moves all the way up to the Low position, but doesn't engage.

Any ideas of what I'm facing?

your supposed to have it in neutral when you shift into and out of 4-lo. The tag on your driver side sun visor should tell you the proper operation.

EDIT: sorry I didn't read your question right, I thought it was shifting into low range just fine as long as you had it in neutral.

It is most likely your linkage. It needs to be just perfect. It is easy to adjust, just get under the XJ with a wrench and you can do it in a few minutes. It might take a couple of tries to get perfect.

the_weirdo said:
It is most likely your linkage. It needs to be just perfect. It is easy to adjust, just get under the XJ with a wrench and you can do it in a few minutes. It might take a couple of tries to get perfect.

just a little too far one way you wont get 2wd just a little the other way you won't get 4low its a fine line

I made an adjustment and it worked fine. Went on a little test drive...

jeepmntview.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

Back