• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 ax-15 front drive shaft, good for rear with 4.5" lift?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I did a little searching and no dice.

I have a 98 2 door and I just got done putting on a 4.5" lift with RE controll arms, t-bird coil springs, JKS track bar, a new steering dampener shock, and a 1" t-case drop. I have crazy vibes now coming from the rear.

Since I'm on a tight budget right now, could I use my front drive shaft in the rear to help with the vibes untill i get enough cash to get a SYE?

I already took off my front DS last night in hopes of putting in the rear but I'm kinda confused.

IF you had a SYE, you'd need a front DS from a vehicle with an AW4. The AX-15 is a no go.

The front DS uses a double cardian on one end and the rear uses either an internal or external slip into the TC. Stock front/rears are not compatible.

Use a Hack n Tap SYE from RE itlike $70 or so, then use the front shaft till you get a rear one.

Did you never look to see that 97+ get vibes after a 2" lift?

ZachMan said:
Use a Hack n Tap SYE from RE itlike $70 or so, then use the front shaft till you get a rear one.

Did you never look to see that 97+ get vibes after a 2" lift?

I knew that the 97+ CAN get vibes or not, its all just a guessing game. I had a t-case drop at 2" of lift so I think a SYE is what I need. that and the front DS from a aw4.

Well worth the time and effort and price to get the PORC sye. The cost is more initially but you save by being able to use the front drive shaft. One of the best and easiest mods I have put on.

So I can use my stock front D/S? It's long enough? I heard AX-15's had to use the front D/S off a ZJ with a SYE.

You can use the front drive shaft only if you get the sye. The sye extends the output shaft a little and gives proper mounting for the dual cardigan joint.

But the AX-15 front DS will work with a SYE, right? It's not to short?

Back